The Institutional Effectiveness Committee (IEC) at UNE encourages best practices in educational assessment and institutional effectiveness by engaging the UNE community and others in discussions and with evidence to assure that UNE has clear, current, and broadly utilized systems for measuring effectiveness and taking action on those measurements.
The Institutional Effectiveness Committee makes recommendations on policy and procedure to enhance institutional quality at every level.
The University of New England Institutional Effectiveness Committee is composed of academic, administrative, and co-curricular members of the UNE community. The goal of the Institutional Effectiveness Committee is to provide a framework and process for monitoring the quality and effectiveness of the University.
The IEC consults with an Academic Quality Workgroup to assure that colleges and co-curricular departments have accepted assessment systems in place so that all academic programs assess student learning outcomes in a deliberate, organized manner and utilize the results of these assessments for demonstrated quality improvements. Such results are reported annually from the deans to the IEC and the Office of the Provost.
Additionally, the IEC reviews the results of program reviews that are conducted on a regular, scheduled basis and makes recommendations to the Provost and others on strategies and mechanisms to continually improve the quality of the institution.
The Institutional Effectiveness Committee seeks ways to improve assessment practices at UNE beyond those stated and recommends ways to improve the quality of the University and the achievement of strategic goals through these institutional effectiveness processes:
- Reviews the long-term goals of the University of New England to develop processes, guidelines, and time lines in regard to measures of quality and, in particular, college-level student learning outcomes assessment plans and program review plans.
- Recommends plans and develops time lines for the continuous development and implementation of student learning outcomes assessment, administrative unit performance outcomes assessment, and program review processes.
- Recommends a process to encourage assessment and assessment-based change to take place in response to student learning outcomes assessment, administrative unit performance assessment, and program review plans.
- Documents current practices of assessment and program improvement by academic and non-academic units at UNE; including frequent assessment of the IEC and its processes.
- Provides leadership on assessment and program improvement through communication with academic and administrative units responsible for assessment and program review activities.
- Facilitates a process for disseminating data, information, and results with deans, vice-presidents with the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment to appropriate university and external constituencies.
- Exchanges information with other institutions and organizations regarding accreditation, benchmarking, instrument development, and assessment-related activities.
- Reports regularly to the Office of Academic Affairs on the status of implementation of the Institutional Effectiveness Plan for outcomes assessment and program review and recommends revisions and refinements of committee policies and procedures.