Change of Major

During the course of an undergraduate experience, it is more common than not that students in American colleges and universities will contemplate changing majors, and in fact, change their major. Some individuals may change majors more than once. Thoughts of major change can bring about feelings of anxiety, worry or perhaps even shame and fear of disappointing family members back home.

If you are contemplating a change of major, you should know first that your thoughts and feelings are quite normal and that in most cases, family and friends will support and accept your decisions once they are informed of the investigation, thinking and reasoning processes that led to your decision. 

No matter how far into the process you find yourself, we're here to help with the planning and execution of your changing majors.

How do I begin to investigate, think and reason about a decision to change majors?

I have made up my mind. How do I make the change?

What about minors and double majors?

How do I begin to investigate, think and reason about a decision to change majors? 

In the initial stages, try discussing it with your advisor. UNE faculty are concerned most about student fit and success in our academic environment. Your advisor should not hold it against you if you openly bring to him or her your thoughts and concerns about switching majors.

If a particular professor got you interested in a major because of a course you took with her or him, discuss your thoughts with that professor. She or he will be complimented by your interest and will be an excellent source of information.

RA's and other student leaders can perhaps link you to other students who have changed majors. Peer advice and support can be comforting, but be sure to follow the other steps suggested on this page so you can have professional perspectives as well.
Visit the Career Services Office. The professional staff there are experts in helping students decide on the "best fit" in academic environments and in helping you understand the many career possibilities that can result from majors in the liberal arts, sciences or professional programs.

If you have a good idea of the major you want, get a copy of your unofficial transcript from the Registrar and visit the department chair, or advising liaison of that major. Tell him or her of your interest. Ask for an evaluation of your present standing and a written plan for the courses you would have to take to complete their major. Do not be shy or afraid to do this; departments and faculty welcome students interested in their field. You should know the reality of future course loads before you change.

I have made up my mind.  How do I make the change?

To officially change your major, you will need to fill out the Change of Major form that is available online or in the Registrar's Office. 

Minors and Double Majors

You may find that you have interest in academic discipline other than your major. In such cases, you may elect to obtain a minor in a different discipline. You may also discuss with our faculty the possibility of pursuing a double major, which requires you to satisfy the complete curriculum requirements for each major you select.

In both the case of the minor and double major, it is important that you understand that you must satisfy the curriculum requirements for your major and for your minor/double major to be eligible to participate in a graduation ceremony and to receive a diploma.