- If you discover a fire, activate the fire alarm pull station (generally located near exits and stairwells), immediately notify others in the area, and go to your department’s designated meeting area.
- If you are not near a fire alarm pull station, dial 911 and then ext. 366 from a safe location to notify the Department of Safety and Security.
- Seek out disabled persons in the area and provide assistance to areas of refuge, generally stairwells.
- As you evacuate, if time permits and it can be done safely, close windows and all interior doors.
- Do not use the elevators; use the stairwell as an area of refuge.
- Do not re-enter the building unless the Fire Department and/or UNE Department of Safety and Security gives the all clear.
If You are Trapped
- If you can, go to a stairwell not involved in the incident if you can. Stairwells are designated areas of refuge.
- If access to the stairwell is not available, remain in your room/office. If possible, block the bottom of the door with wet towels or rags to reduce the amount of smoke entering the area. Seal off any intake air vents.
- If smoke is present, stay near the floor where air is less toxic.
- Use the telephone to tell someone of your exact location. If windows are present, place an article of clothing or bright sign in the window to alert rescue personnel.
- Do what you can to attract attention. Shout at regular intervals to alert emergency responders of your location.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a wet towel/rag.
- Wait to the last possible moment for crisis evacuation; jumping is dangerous.
- First action: call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Second action: call ext. 366 for UNE Safety and Security to respond.
- Administer first aid to the extent you are trained or qualified until help arrives.