As a member of the Finance team, incumbent will compile, process, and maintain all aspects of hourly student and hourly and salaried staff employment data and payroll using an in-house processing environment for a large and diverse workforce of over 3,000 employees and students, payable under bi-weekly and semi-monthly schedules. This will be accomplished with the utmost accuracy, timeliness, confidentiality, professionalism and customer service focused attitude, along with a thorough understanding of UNE’s policies. This position will directly impact a rapidly growing organization and diverse workforce.
- Electronic processing of payroll cycle, including, but not limited to setting up payroll run, entering time sheet data, running payroll reports, running a pre-calculation report and proofing payroll entries, calculating final payroll, creating and transmitting the direct deposit file output with bank and ensuring printing of actual checks with Controller’s Office.
- Collection, review for accuracy, University policies and regulatory requirements, manual input and filing of hourly staff and student time sheets and salaried leave reports.
- Collection, review for accuracy, manual input and filing of employment data including, but not limited to: terminations of employment, direct deposit, taxes, 403(b), paid time off, FMLA and garnishments orders and other deductions.
- Review for accuracy employment data including, but not limited to: new hires, terminations, benefit election forms, tax data, other deductions, 403b plan, and payroll change notices (i.e. pay/job changes.) (Payroll Information Specialist inputs these items)
- Creation of weekly business office vouchers to Accounts Payable for eligible withholdings, as well as paying or ensuring timely payment of taxes and 403(b) withheld for regular and off-cycle payrolls.
- Produce manual and void checks in Banner payroll processing system, including requesting replacement payments with Accounts Payable for returned payroll direct deposits.
- Understands, follows and can articulate proper taxation of benefits, gross to net payroll calculation and applicable and related laws and regulations surrounding payroll.
- Ensure confidentiality of employee data and security of physical checks and payroll information.
- Acts as liaison with staff, faculty, administration, students and vendors/regulatory agencies in answering questions, providing alternatives and facilitating decision-making.
- Provides information, assistance and/or training to employees, staff and the University community; provides technical/procedural assistance to staff and University community; trains on payroll policies/procedures; answers employee/staff questions during payroll editing and check processing.
- Advises, interprets and provides direction to management and staff on University rules and procedures and Federal, state and local laws and regulations involving payroll and related benefit program deductions to ensure ongoing compliance.
- Inform Payroll Manager of payroll anomalies, possible payroll discrepancies and violations of University and/or regulatory policies.
- Work collaboratively with Human Resources, Business Office and Student Financial Services personnel to ensure proper workflow amongst all four functional and overlapping areas.
- Recommends and assists in developing and implementing new and/or revised policies, procedures and strategies to ensure efficient processing of the University's payroll and ongoing compliance with legislative mandates and statutes.
- Prepares a variety of correspondence, memoranda, statistical summaries, reports, announcements and other materials related to the payroll function. In addition, adequately documents all facets of payroll processing procedures as outlined above.
- Develops a full understanding of the Banner ERP and related systems, including how standard payroll and human resource related information is entered, stored, and accessed. Understands the features of Banner information and develops methods for accessing and tracking critical information to the organization.
- Miscellaneous duties, including, but not limited to help with annual Benefits Fair, incoming/outgoing mail processing, training on system upgrades/enhancements, back-up/coverage for other members of Payroll Office, streamlining including automation of payroll functions, knowledge of annual contract/pay changes and federal/state regulations, special projects as assigned etc.
- Completes University new employee orientation and sexual harassment training within 30 days of the date of hire.
Four years of related experience or any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. FPC desired.
• Knowledge of payroll principles, practices, regulations and procedures.
• Skill in evaluating and analyzing technical payroll activities.
• Skill in both verbal and written communication.
• Knowledge of accounting practices and procedures.
• Skill in preparing detailed reports and procedural documentation.
• Skill in performing detailed computations.
• Ability to interact with faculty, staff and students in a courteous, efficient and discreet manner regarding highly sensitive and confidential financial matters.
• Ability to problem resolve for positive outcomes.
• Ability to forward and critically think through processes.
* Background check may be required.
- Cover Letter
Human Resources Office
University of New England
The University of New England is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and welcomes female and minority candidates.