The National Area Health Education Center Organization and the National Association of Geriatric Education Centers collaborated to roll out the "Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation Prevention Program" (EIFFE Prevention Program). The EIFFE Prevention Program educates medical professionals about how to spot older Americans who may be vulnerable to financial abuse, particularly those with mild cognitive impairment, and then to refer suspected investment fraud involving these at-risk patients to state securities regulators and/or to local Adult Protective Services (APS) professionals. The program brings together a variety of disciplines to increase awareness about and to prevent elder investment fraud including experts in the field of aging, neuropsychology, elder abuse, the economics of aging, and investor education/investment fraud prevention.
Additional components of the program include the development and dissemination of continuing education materials for doctors and educational materials and resources for patients and their families. State securities regulators and participating medical professionals now have available the program’s Clinician’s Pocket Guide and an informational brochure for patients/investors. The pocket guide – which outlines common red flags, how to ask about a patient’s financial capacity and what types of referral may be needed – can be used to train medical staff, as well as functioning as a handy reference card. The brochure tells how to protect against elder financial fraud and where to get help.
Below are links to this program. The first link is the home page to the National Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation (EIFFE) Prevention Program and the second link takes you to the best resources to protect yourself and your parents/grandparents from investment fraud.
You may view the UNE-MGEC "Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation" (EIFFE) Prevention Program presentation on youtube
by clicking on this link: http://youtu.be/ISNK9zlHQEc
Other Violence Related links for Health Professionals
- Pocket Guide on Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation
- Adult Protective Services
- Folio for Nursing and Domestic Violence: http://www.futureswithoutviolence.org/userfiles/file/HealthCare/nursing.pdf
- Folio for Health Care Professions Students and Domestic Violence:
- Folio for Dental Care and Domestic Violence: http://www.futureswithoutviolence.org/userfiles/file/HealthCare/dental.pdf
- National Consensus Guidelines for Health Care and Domestic Violence:
- World Health Organization's Publications on Sexual and Reproductive Health, specific to violence: