This website is intended to provide planning and response information, resources and strategies that can assist individuals and facilities to better prepare for — and respond to — all types of emergencies and disasters. A well developed plan is important and we feel that everyone should have a plan and be prepared to respond in case of an emergency or disaster. The following resources can assist you in developing plans suited to your individual needs as well as establishing priorities in preparing for and responding to an emergency or disaster.
The following Maine State and Centers for Disease Control resources can assist individuals, families and their caregivers in preparing and planning for an emergency or disaster:
- Maine State Emergency Preparedness/Management
- Maine Prepares
- Are You Ready? An In-Depth Guide to Citizen Preparedness
- Family Emergency Planning
- Emergency Preparedness
- Emergency Preparedness and Response, Centers for Disease Control
- Emergency Planning Checklists
- Long Term, Home Health, and Hospice Care Planning Guide for Public Health Emergencies
Geriatric Emergency Preparedness and Response Resources
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Children and Disasters: Disaster Preparedness to Meet Children's Needs. This website is AP's primary resource site for disaster preparedness to meet children's needs.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Long-Term Care and Other Residential Facilities Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist. This checklist can be adapted by behavioral health residential facilities to help develop a plan while experiencing trauma.
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing: Office of Work Life, U.S. coast Guard
- In Times of Crisis: Supporting Others, Supporting Ourselves. Section on First Responders
- KY All Hazards Long Term Care Planning and Resources Manual and Emergency Training Materials
- FEMA - NIMS Resource Center
- NIMS Training Courses-Fact Sheets
- National Nurse Emergency Preparedness Initiative (NNEPI) - Atlanta Chapter United Advanced Practice Registered Nurses. Federally funded six-hour online nursing course in two versions — one is cost free and the other gives CEU for $24, (same curriculum, 6 modules)
- Psychological First Aid: Field Operations Guide for Disasters and Terrorism for healthcare professionals
- Psychological First Aid for Responders - Handout on Tips for Emergency and Disaster Workers
- Preventing Violence after a National Disaster
- SAMHSA: Promoting Emotional Health: A Toolkit for Senior Living Communities. This toolkit uses a comprehensive framework to implement efficient behavioral and emotional health in senior living communities.
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network: Pediatric Medical Traumatic Stress Toolkit for Health Care Providers - Tools for Helping Children and Families in Distress. This toolkit was designed to provide health care providers with resources to assist with recognizing traumatic stress in children.
Geriatric Education Centers Initiative
Geriatric Emergency Preparedness, Response (GEPR) Collaborative
- 2001-02: National Association of Geriatric Education Center (NAGEC) surveyed GECs; presented position statement to HRSA on need for geriatric emergency preparedness training
- 2003-now: HRSA funded 6 GECs (CA, KY, MO, NY, OH, TX), initially called the Bioterrorism Emergency Preparedness i n Aging (BTEPA), developed multidisciplinary training for health professionals; continues its work today as the GEPR collaborative - Consortium of NYGEC, Ohio Valley Appalachia Regional GEC, University of Kentucky, Saint Louis University Gateway GEC of MO & IL, Stanford GEC, Stanford University, Texas Consortium GEC, University of New England, Maine GEC, and Mather LifeWays.
- 2010-2015: GEPR committed to offer multidisciplinary preparedness programs through GECs HRSA funded educational activities
- 2010-2015 Webinars Series on Emergency Preparedness: Ohio Valley Appalachia Regional GEC, University of Kentucky, Stanford GEC, and the University of New England GEC offer various topics in geriatric preparedness through the SGEC webinar series programs
Geriatric Emergency Preparedness and Response: Ethnogeriatric Resources
- Drexel University Diversity Preparedness
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- Emergency Communication Picture Communication Aid
- Guidance for Integrating Culturally Diverse Communities into Planning for and Responding to Emergencies: A Toolkit
- ASL videos
- Disaster Preparedness: Home and Community-Based Services For People With Dementia and Their Caregivers
- Emergency Readiness and Response: Area Agencies on Aging Survey