Earn 3 college credits
Open to high school students entering their junior or senior year in Fall 2018
Summer 2018 Dates July 8–July 20
Are you looking for a challenging program that will give you valuable college experience? Does spending two weeks living and learning on a college campus on the Maine coast sound exciting? Would you like to earn three college credits before you even enter college? If you answered “Yes” to any of the above questions, UNE Early College is the program for you.
- Experience college life on the Maine coast this summer
- Immerse yourself in a subject that interest you, and work with faculty involved in the latest neuroscience research
- Get advice about the college application process and how to apply for financial aid
- Earn three college credits in two weeks
"What will I learn in the Early College Neuroscience Program?"
UNE is nationally recognized for cutting-edge neuroscience research. As an Early College Neuroscience student, you have the opportunity to meet and learn from top neuroscientists who open up their laboratories and provide lectures in this highly competitive program. In the program, you will learn how to:
- Demonstrate understanding of neuronal structure and function including: electrophysiological phenomena, neurotransmission and the synapse, and cellular structure
- Identify the major structures of the central and peripheral nervous systems, as well as the major functions associated with each
- Describe sensory and motor pathways, and mechanisms of neural processing of sensory input
- Describe the biological underpinning of cognitive processes, such as learning, memory and emotion
- Discuss and predict the effects of nervous system dysfunction
- Utilize knowledge regarding neuroscience methods to design a research project
Tour our nationally recognized facilities, and work with our world-class faculty members—a select group of dedicated educators who have earned UNE the ranking of “one of the best regional universities in the North,” according to U.S. News & World Report.
You will live in a dorm, enjoy UNE’s many recreational facilities (six-lane swimming pool, soccer fields, volleyball and basketball courts, kayak launch and our very own sandy beach), and explore the scenic coast of Maine. Through the program, you have the opportunity to take exciting trips, meet new people and make lasting friendships. You emerge ready to begin your college career.
Field Trips & Events may include
- View working labs of top Neuroscientists
- Visit area hospitals
- Participate in dissection labs
- Visit some of New England's most beautiful beaches
- Go to a Portland Seadogs baseball game
- Browse the Portland Waterfront and historic Old Port
Dorms and UNE Life
Our dorms are close to the classes and dining hall. This will be a good opportunity for you to experience dorm life and living with a roommate. Rooms include two desks and two beds. A dorm counselor/teaching assistant will be in residence with you. Several of your weekday evenings may be spent with homework and projects, but there will be plenty of opportunities to socialize and explore the area. You will have access to UNE's sports and recreational facilities, including our six-lane pool, basketball and volleyball courts, and sandy beach! Other leisure activities include movies, campfires and cookouts.
Tuition and Related Fees
- Room and board
- Housing and Meals: $825
- Optional Linen Package: $10
- Commuter Lunches: $185 *Please note, it is mandatory for commuters to dine with the group at lunch.
- Apply by March 30, 2018
- Letters of Recommendation submission
- Send this link: https://i.une.edu/fb/0zaj7tqjlk.html, to two teachers or guidance counselors
- Be sure to inform them for which program you are applying
- Along with the online application and two letters of recommendation, we require:
- Official high school transcripts
- Non-refundable application fee of $25 payable to the University of New England (if accepted, this will be deducted from tuition)
- Send all materials to:
Early College Program
University of New England
11 Hills Beach Road
Biddeford, Maine 04005
Questions? Email or call us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 602-2050.