Veteran Education Benefits

The University of New England (UNE) is strongly committed to supporting men and women who have served our nation through military service. UNE serves veterans, service members and their families, who are accessing U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits, often referred to as the GI Bill.

Students attending UNE who are eligible to receive VA Educational Benefits may qualify for one of the following Chapters of the GI Bill of Educational Assistance:

  • CHAPTER 30 Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
  • CHAPTER 31 The Vocational Rehabilitation Program
  • CHAPTER 33 The Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • CHAPTER 35 Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
  • CHAPTER 1606 Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
  • CHAPTER 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Student Responsibilities

You are required to become familiar with the UNE VA Education Benefits Checklist listed on the right. Each step must be followed in order to have your benefits processed. You are responsible for any and all charges due to late submission of the request form.

A Request for Certification form must be completed each semester in order to have your benefits certified with the VA.

Any changes in your enrollment must be communicated to the School Certifying Official immediately. You will be responsible for any and all charges owed the VA and/or the school for any changes to certifications.

You are responsible for maintaining your benefit eligibility and should only request certification when eligible. The School Certifying Official does not have access to this information. If you request certification it will be processed, however, should the VA deny the certification it will be your responsibility to contact Student Accounts to make all payment arrangements for any and all charges owed, including any late or finance charges.

If you are a non-matriculated student who would like to have courses at UNE certified with the VA, you will need to fit into one of the scenarios listed under the document to the right titled Certifying Non-Matriculated Students, and you will need to supply all required documents. A non-matriculated student is a student who is not accepted into a degree program at UNE.

If you are a guest student, you must obtain a primary school letter indicating that the courses you are going to take at UNE are approved for transfer back to your degree program at your primary school. You are considered a guest student if you are enrolled in a degree program at another institution and are taking courses at UNE to transfer back to that program for credit.

Yellow Ribbon Program

UNE is proud to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon Program allows additional funding for students who are 100% eligible for Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill education benefits. UNE will pay a certain dollar amount and the VA will match UNE’s payment, not to exceed total cost.

Each year, there are a limited number of slots available in the program and they are given on a first come, first served basis.

There is not a separate application process, only to have your Certificate of Eligibility stating that you are 100% eligible for the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill submitted once you are an accepted student at UNE. The date of submission of the COE will determine if a slot is awarded.

Yellow Ribbon benefits will not be processed until the annual cap for tuition and fees has been exhausted.

VA Benefit Payments

The School Certifying Official (SCO) has no record of VA payments made directly to you as a student. If a payment is late, please contact the VA directly at (800) 442-4551, prompt 1, then prompt 0, to inquire. Or, submit an "Ask a Question" inquiry on the VA website.

What is W.A.V.E.?

W.A.V.E. stands for Web-Automated Verification of Enrollment. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. You can check the status of your enrollment, update your personal information, update your direct deposit information, and report changes to your enrollment directly to the VA. You MUST verify your enrollment every month, on the last day of the month, if you are currently enrolled in Chapters 30, 1606 or 1607. Chapter 33 does not require monthly verification. Your monthly payment will not be processed until you verify your enrollment for the month.


It is highly recommended that you sign up to use eBenefits. This tool allows you to apply for benefits online, manage direct deposits with the VA, and request VA documents. You will also be able to see your payments and remaining eligibility.

Useful Links

Other Resources