Alumni hall fully restored

 

Thank you!

Thanks to the generosity of so many loyal alumni, staff, faculty and friends of Westbrook College and the University of New England, Alumni Hall has once again become the “living room” of the Portland Campus. 

A message from Ginny Ketch '82, Westbrook Alumni Association president

“As a former staff member, an alum and the President of the Westbrook College Alumni Association, I am so excited and proud to be part of this historic event. Depending on when we were on campus and our major was, we had different reasons to spend time in Alumni Hall — science labs, history classes, art studios, theater productions, the day hop lounge, concerts, movies, or chapel. But it was always a part of our life here.”

  • Ginny Ketch ’82
    Speaking at the Reopening Celebration on June 9, 2016

On June 9, 2016, the University of New England celebrated the reopening of the Portland Campus’ historic Alumni Hall building — 182 years to the day after it first opened on June 9, 1834. See the doors of the Portland Campus’ most iconic building swing open and hear the bell tower ring out, beckoning alumni of Westbrook College and Westbrook Junior College to enter once again.

Reopening of Alumni Hall

 

The "living room" of the Portland Campus

A Historic Place

Built in 1834, Alumni Hall is the inaugural building on UNE’s Portland Campus. Originally the Classroom Building for Westbrook Seminary, Alumni Hall was built by the Kennebec Association of Universalists so that their young people might study in a setting free from religious persecution. No sectarian doctrine was taught; students from all religions and creeds were accepted for education; and males and females were admitted to equal privileges. 

When the newly constructed Seminary Building opened on June 9, 1834, it was adorned by the bell tower relocated from Portland’s Town Hall. From pre-Civil War days until the last decade, Alumni Hall has housed classrooms, laboratories, chapel services, theater performances, and study lounges. Its walls hold countless memories of students from Westbrook Seminary, Westbrook Junior College, Westbrook College and now UNE.

Donors to the Alumni Hall Restoration Project

The University of New England is grateful to the following donors who have made the reopening of Alumni Hall possible:

Leadership Donors

Estate of Dorothy Wallace Dixon WJC ’41
Estate of Sandra Rice Sternburg WJC ’56
Prudence Weaver Dickey WJC ’49* and Kenneth C. Dickey*
Zareen Taj Mirza, in honor of her mother, Josephine “Dodie” Detmer H ’06 
Danielle N. Ripich, Ph.D., in honor of Forde J. and June Curtin Newberry
Constance R. Strout-Wood WJC ’54* and Thomas R. Wood
Davis Family Foundation

Contributors

*Deceased

Alumni Hall at night