UNE’s peer tutors are a select group of students who demonstrate subject proficiency as well as the interpersonal skills necessary for good working relationships. If you are interested in becoming a peer tutor, we suggest you do the following:
- Read the Peer Tutor Job Description
- Submit a Peer Tutor Application ( printable pdf) to the Tutor Coordinator
- Schedule an interview with the Tutor Coordinator
You are required to complete a one-hour orientation session before being placed on the Tutorial Schedule.
You are also required to complete an additional nine hours of training (leading to CRLA certification) within one year of hire. You are required to attend a one-hour tutor training workshop on each of the following topics:
- Conducting the tutoring session and dealing with difficult situations.
- Listening and communication skills.
- Learning styles.
- Learning differences - with an emphasis on learning disabilities.
- Study strategies.
Additional training is conducted with the use of Tutor’s Guide DVDs, completion of a self-assessment and individual feedback sessions you receive from the tutor coordinator.
Once you complete the 10 hours of training and 25 hours of actual tutoring, you earn certification from the College Reading and Learning Association. You are also recognized each year at the Spring ULead Reception.