The Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity promotes a welcoming and inclusive campus environment that supports the leadership development, social experiences, and academic persistence of students from traditionally under-represented groups on campus. We offer educational and co-curricular programs that help raise cultural awareness and appreciation for students of diverse backgrounds.
The Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity provides an array of educational lectures, co-curricular programs and workshops, and student leadership opportunities that promote diversity and enhance intercultural understanding. Most events are open to the entire UNE community and many are open to the general public too. Learn more about our signature events.
Programs and Services
We offer programs and services throughout the year aimed at supporting our diverse student body and community. Our Diversity Leadership Certificate program raises your cultural awareness and contributes to your personal and professional development. The Safe Space Training Program and other LGBTQ support services help to foster an inclusive and understanding environment on campus. We also help connect you with opportunities to express your religious and spiritual needs. Learn more about our programs and services.
There are several UNE clubs and organizations that celebrate the diverse populations of our community. The Office of Multicultural and Diversity advises or collaborates with these groups on both the Biddeford Campus and Portland Campus and encourages you to start new groups. Learn more about our existing student groups.
Cultural Exchange Lounge
As a student on the Biddeford Campus, you are welcome to visit the Cultural Exchange Lounge, which is located near the entrance to the Decary Dining Hall. The student-centered lounge includes:
- A comfortable atmosphere for students to meet, socialize and study.
- A television and DVD player with an assortment of multicultural/LGBTQ-related movies.
- A lending library with books and DVDs available for students, faculty and staff to borrow.
- A conference table and meeting room available for study space, club meetings and other programs.
- Ongoing programs throughout the academic year, including club meetings, presentations, movie nights, interfaith events, and workshops and trainings.
The Cultural Exchange Lounge is managed by student employees and is open every day from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.