As a student with a documented disability, you may self-disclose your disability at the time of your application to UNE, or at any other time while enrolled at the University. Upon self-disclosure, you are considered for reasonable accommodations provided that you follow the procedure outlined below:

Registration Procedure

  1. Using the University Documentation Guidelines, you provide current, comprehensive documentation of a disability from a qualified medical or other licensed professional evaluator.
  2. You fill out an Application for Reasonable Accommodations.
  3. The Director and/or Coordinator of the Student Access Center will review the documentation to determine if it meets University guidelines. If additional information or clarification is needed, the Student Access Center will contact you and/or the appropriate health professional.
  4. The Student Access Center will set up a time for you to come in for an interview to gather additional information.
  5. After it is determined that you qualify and are eligible to receive services for a disability under the ADA and/or Rehabilitation Act, the Director and/or Coordinator of the Student Access Center will contact you to discuss reasonable accommodations, procedures for implementing the accommodations and your rights and responsibilities.
  6. You will receive a Notification of Registration with the Student Access Center and Recommended Accommodations form, which will outline your approved accommodations. This form will not include information regarding the nature of your disability.
  7. You and your instructor(s) will meet and discuss the coordination of the accommodation(s).
  8. If a faculty member has questions about the appropriateness of certain accommodations, he or she is advised to contact the Student Access Center for further clarification.
  9. If you are not receiving the authorized accommodation(s), it is your responsibility to report the failure to the Student Access Center. For more information on the UNE appeal process, please see the UNE Appeal Guidelines.

Accommodations can be requested at any time during the semester but are not applied retroactively.