The UNE School of Social Work is the most uniquely inclusive, supportive, student-centric, on-campus social work program in Southern Maine. We offer a variety of personalized learning options that make this the ideal campus-based social work program for busy people. From a values-based foundation of community experience and face-to-face interactions, you’ll examine some of the most difficult problems facing society today and work to forge new understandings and solutions.
"As an on-campus Social Work student at UNE, the personal connections that I’ve made with other students has been one of the highlights for me, both personally and professionally. Further, as a social worker, it was a great initial experience in building colleagues. The social worker network is very tight-knit, so its been helpful to learn alongside the students in my cohort, and know that they’ll be the people I will be working with in the future."
- Rebecca Baker (M.S.W., '17)
Eight great reasons to choose the UNE School of Social Work:
- Your field placements are personalized: Select a placement based on your interests, from Maine’s largest network of clinical partners.
- You’ll have multiple learning options, including hybrid (online/offline) courses: We want to make sure that all the advantages of an on-campus social work program are attainable—even for busy adults.
- You’ll be well prepared to enter the workforce: Our graduates tend to be in high demand with local employers due to our strong regional reputation and our unparalleled network of field placement partnerships—in fact, many of our students are hired at their placement sites directly following their internships.
- You’ll train in real-world settings: Our experiential approach allows you to apply your classroom learning in the community and in simulations.
- You’ll learn to work collaboratively across disciplines: UNE’s unique interprofessional education (IPE) model prepares you to work with all types of care providers in any setting.
- Your voice will be heard because we model what we teach: Students have a respected voice in program curriculum and direction.
- You’ll learn from (and with) faculty who walk the the walk: We are an active faculty, doing clinical and community work and conducting research.
- You’ll form lifelong bonds: Students receive ongoing, hands-on mentorship and see the School of Social Work as a professional home base, long after graduation.
Choose from three concentrations:
Our Clinical Practice concentration prepares students for advanced practice focused on individuals, families and groups in a variety of settings.
Our Community Practice concentration prepares students for advanced practice roles in program and policy development, administration, supervision, political advocacy and community practice.
Our Integrated Concentration combines the Community and Clinical concentrations.
Choose from two timely certificate programs (with more to come in 2017):
APPLIED ARTS AND SOCIAL JUSTICE CERTIFICATE
You integrate your passion for expressive arts with community activism, transformation and healing.
TRAUMA-INFORMED PRACTICE SPECIALIZATION
You prepare to become a practitioner versed in trauma theory, the neurobiology of complex trauma, and the effects of working with trauma.
We look forward to offering additional certificate programs, to be announced later in 2017.