Student Records and Administrative Policy

Student Records and Administrative Policy

Student Academic Records

Student academic (and related) records are kept in Registration Services on both the Biddeford and the Portland Campus.

Under the terms of the Buckley/Pell amendment to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), students have the right to review and inspect all official records, files, and data, including all material that is incorporated into each student's cumulative record folder. However, Department of Health, Education, and Welfare has said that clarifying amendments provide that letters of recommendation submitted on the basis of a pledge of confidentiality prior to January 1, 1975 need not be shown to students, and that a student may be allowed but not required to waive his/her right of access to letters of recommendation received after that date. The amendments also provide that a financial statement submitted by a parent need not be shown to the student.
Release of records is allowed only upon written student approval, with noted exceptions listed below.

University students wishing to review their records may do so by providing a written request to Registration Services at least 48 hours in advance of the desired appointment.

Student Conduct Records

Student Conduct Records and related files are maintained by the Dean of Students in the Student Affairs offices on each campus. Student conduct records/files are maintained under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

All student conduct and related files are maintained by the Office of the Dean of Students for a period of no less than four years after separation from the University. Records may be destroyed at that time. Disciplinary records may be retained for longer periods of time or permanently if specified in the terms of disciplinary sanctions.    

Student Access and Annual Notification

FERPA (see above) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. The student should submit a written request that identifies the records which they wish to inspect to Registration Services. The office will notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write to the University Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If it is determined not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of the right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding hearing procedures will accompany this notification.    
  3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her task; or the Veterans Administration for students registered for various GI Bill programs. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.    
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failure(s) by The University of New England to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance OfficeUS Department of Education600 Independence Avenue, SWWashington, DC 20202-4605

Directory Information and Disclosure

The University normally will not supply non-related organizations with personally identifiable student information, including “directory information.” One exception to this policy is the result of a federal law known as the “Solomon Amendment” which requires the University to release directory information to military recruiters upon request. For this purpose, directory information is defined as: name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, level of education, academic major, degrees received, and educational institution in which a student most recently was enrolled. Information not required or permitted by the Solomon Amendment and not considered directory information under FERPA will not be released without written permission of the student.

Active students who wish to have directory information withheld from release must do so in writing on a “per-academic-year” basis. Request forms are available in the Registration Services office and the Student Affairs Offices at either campus. Requests must be submitted prior to September 30th (if first-time enrollment for academic year is fall semester) or January 30th (if first-time enrollment for academic year is spring semester) to affect a “withhold” status.

Please remember: active students must renew a request for non-disclosure each year to keep such requests in effect. The University may disclose directory information about former students without meeting notification requirements; however, at the last opportunity as a student (just prior to departure from the University), written requests for nondisclosure will remain in effect until a written request to change non-disclosure status is made by the student.

Petition to Graduate and Receipt of Diploma

In the last year of enrollment, students who anticipate completion of all degree requirements must submit a petition to graduate. The Petition to Graduate form is available via the "Apply to Graduate" link in UOnline. The completed form sets into motion all final processing towards: verification of the degree completion, correct spelling of name on the diploma, correct mailing address, and indication of plans to participate in the commencement ceremony.

If a mailing address should change after submission of the form, the student is responsible for notifying Registration Services of a new address. It is the goal of registration services to verify/post degree completions and mail out diplomas within four weeks of a student's completion of studies.

Commencement is held at the end of each spring semester (usually May) and students scheduled for participation in the ceremony or completion of degree requirements per academic policy are considered to be in the "Class of...[that particular year]." Student names must be approved, on recommendation of the faculty, by the Board of Trustees prior to being authorized a degree and diploma from the University of New England.

Under some circumstances, documentation of early graduation may be possible for students who complete all of their degree requirements in a semester prior to the planned "Class of ..." ceremony. In these cases the degree will be dated at the end of the semester in which the requirements are completed. Board approval must still be obtained, so all petitions and verifications must be completed in a timely manner. Guidelines for submission of the petition form are as follows:

If graduation is anticipated by the end of:   
Summer Semester                  Submit the petition to graduate by June 30th
Fall Semester                             Submit the petition to graduate by September 30th
Spring Semester                      Submit the petition to graduate by:January 30th

Further information regarding graduation procedures can be obtained through the credentials evaluator at the Office of the Registrar, extension 2138.

For more information see:

Frequently Asked Questions About Graduation

Commencement Ceremony

Leave of Absence Policy

A leave of absence for a specified period of time, not to exceed one (1) academic year, may be granted to a matriculated student with the authorization of the academic dean, program/school director or designate and upon completion of the required Request for Leave of Absence form available from the respective program/school director, Student Affairs or Registration Services. Application for readmission is not necessary if the student returns as planned; however, the student who does not return at the specified time will be administratively withdrawn and will be subject to readmission procedures. Policy on leave of absence tuition credit is found in respective Financial Information sections of this catalog.

Note: It is the responsibility of the student to contact the office of the appropriate academic dean or program/school director (graduate) or Registrar (undergraduate) to indicate change of plans.

University Withdrawal

All matriculated students who wish to withdraw from the University must complete notification documentation available from their respective program/school director, Student Affairs or Registration Services. Documentation must be signed by designated academic and administrative authorities. Student responsibilities include: (a) knowledge of the University's policies regarding refund of tuition and/or fees as stated in your respective catalog; (b) return of University identification (ID) card to the Office of Student Affairs; (c) return of any University keys in your possession to the appropriate departments. The University reserves the right to withhold the issuance of refunds and transcripts until the process has been completed. Following withdrawal, any student wishing to re-enroll at the University of New England must apply through the Office of Admissions.

Response Time and End-of-Term Processing

Due to production demands in registration services (both campuses), requests for student records services cannot be processed on demand. Students are advised to plan on a three-to-five-day turn-around on requests.

At the end of each fall and spring semester, registration offices must process significant volumes of grades, completions, and verifications after all final grades are submitted by instructors. This end-of-term processing is not finished for a minimum of two weeks after the last final exam.

For students graduating at the end of spring semester: degree verification, posting, and diploma printing/mailing must be done after end-of-term grades are processed. Diplomas are not normally mailed for a minimum of four weeks after the last final exam. Students are advised to anticipate waiting these periods of time, and should plan ahead when working with employers, graduate schools, agencies, or licensing bureaus when ordering transcripts, grade reports, or degree verifications.


No official transcript will be issued until all financial obligations have been met.
Transcripts are issued only at the written and signed request of the student. The purpose of this policy is to protect the privacy of the individual concerned and to minimize the possibility of the use of another's transcripts by an imposter. Students are advised to plan on a three-to-five-day turn-around on requests.  Due to the volume of transcript requests received at the end of fall and spring semesters students should plan on a two-week turn-around on requests.

Official transcripts are normally issued directly to other educational institutions or prospective employers designated by the student. Official transcripts issued to the student for purposes of transport to another party can be provided in a sealed envelope but will be considered unofficial if opened by the student. Unsealed transcripts issued directly to students are considered unofficial and are stamped "Issued to Student".