UNE’s Makerspace, an innovative campus resource that serves as a laboratory for creation and building, was opened in the spring of 2016 thanks to the inspiration and generosity of many. It’s taken off this fall — more than doubling the number of student research projects. Opportunities also include programming for skills and activities to engage and empower students as citizen scientists who can use innovation and entrepreneurial action to do cool projects.
The Makerspace is located on the lower level of Decary Hall, room 44.
Student Innovation Challenge
UNE’s Student Innovation Challenge is an idea-stage competition that encourages innovative and sustainable solutions to social, environmental and health issues facing our society. Winners receive cash awards to help advance their ideas to the next level.
You don’t need to be a business major or have business experience to enter the challenge. What you do need is an idea that you believe in and are passionate about.
Whether you are an undergraduate, graduate or online student, you can enter. We encourage you to form transdisciplinary teams composed of undergraduate and graduate students. Throughout the fall and spring semester, we will offer workshops, seminars and mentoring to help you develop your idea and prepare for the competition.
Eligibility, Terms & Conditions
All entrants must:
- Be a full time UNE student, undergraduate, graduate or online.
- Be a new (pre-launch idea stage) enterprise.
- Register by February 28, 2019.
- Present an innovative and sustainable solution to a social, environmental or health issue facing our society.
- Demonstrate a sustainable business model — financially and ecologically — for a profit or non-profit enterprise.
- Be an individual or team. We encourage team submissions. There is no limit on team size.
- If chosen as a finalist, you must attend a prep workshop and be in attendance at the final competition on Saturday, March 30, 2019 to win awards.
- If chosen as a finalist, you must certify that you own, or have the owner’s permission to use/present all intellectual property utilized in your entry materials, including any technology.
- If chosen as a finalist, you must agree to allow participant names, description of your entry, photos of your team and video footage of your presentation on the UNE website and in future UNE publicity and publications including social media.
- Eligibility, Terms & Conditions are subject to change. Please check back for updates.