This website uses cookies to understand how you use the website and to improve your experience. By continuing to use the website, you accept the University of New England’s use of cookies and similar technologies. To learn more about our use of cookies and how to manage your browser cookie settings, please review our Privacy Notice.


B.S. in Animal Behavior

Closeup of a red fish in an aquarium tankAs a major in Animal Behavior, which draws from psychology, biology, neuroscience and other disciplines, you investigate how organisms relate to their physical and social environments, and how these relations affect their ability to survive and reproduce.

Your exploration of Animal Behavior occurs on the scenic shores of coastal Maine where the Saco River meets the Atlantic Ocean. You study and conduct research among other undergraduates, graduate students and professional students in medicine and the health, marine, biological and environmental sciences.

The Animal Behavior degree prepares you for work in a variety of professional settings. You may pursue a career at a zoo, aquarium, wildlife preserve or veterinary hospital. Or, you may enter a graduate program in biology, zoology, wildlife management or aquarium sciences. This major may also be used as a stepping stone to a professional program in veterinary medicine if you select the elective courses needed to satisfy veterinary school admission requirements.

Some students enter UNE thinking they want to major in Marine Biology, but later transfer to Animal Behavior after discovering they are mostly interested in training, managing and influencing marine animal behavior. If this is your passion, Animal Behavior is the right choice for you.

UNE also offers a minor in Animal Behavior

To learn more about the program, see the Curriculum or visit the Catalog.

Honors Program

We offer qualified students the option of participating in our Honors Program and graduating with Honors. This includes significant research, scholarship, or creative activity under the direction of a faculty member. You should consult with your major advisor or department chair for specific criteria and requirements.