Please check out these books on SoTL that are available from the Center’s lending library. The books are housed in the CETL Portland office at 304 Hersey Hall, but you can request that a book be brought to the Biddeford campus for you to pick up in 045 Decary Hall.
Becker, W. (2010). The scholarship of teaching and learning in higher education: Contributions of research universities. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
Bishop-Clark, C. (2012). Engaging in the scholarship of teaching and learning: A guide to the process, and how to develop a project from start to finish. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
Boyer, E. L. (1997). Scholarship reconsidered: Priorities of the professoriate. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Note: This book by Boyer does not provide information on how to conduct SoTL projects, but is the classic work that provides support for the academe to recognize scholarship of teaching and learning as a valid research field.
Cerbin, B. (2011). Lesson study: Using classroom inquiry to improve teaching and learning in higher education (An ACPA / NASPA Joint Publication). Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
Huber, M. T. (2002). Disciplinary styles in the scholarship of teaching and learning: Exploring common ground. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
Hutchings, P. (2011). The scholarship of teaching and learning reconsidered: Institutional integration and impact. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
McKinney, K. (2012). The scholarship of teaching and learning in and across the disciplines. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
Weimer, M. (2006). Enhancing scholarly work on teaching and learning: Professional literature that makes a difference. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Online resource highly recommended:
Vanderbilt University’s Center for Teaching SoTL website provides a well-organized tutorial that contains all the elements necessary for initiating a SoTL project from understanding what it is and its benefits to all the steps in “Doing SoTL.” Videos and visuals throughout explain, describe and expand on concepts.
Not sure what you may wish to research? View SoTL work at other universities that might trigger an idea for you to pursue:
- Buffalo State College
- Center for New Designs in Learning and Scholarship (CNDLS)
- DePaul University
- Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne
- Indiana University and SoTL
- Iowa State University
- IS-SoTL (The International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning)
- Loyola Marymount University
- Michigan State University
- Programs and information on SoTL from the Carnegie Foundation
- Purdue University-Calumet
- Scholarship of Teaching (George Washington University)
- Southeast Missouri State University
- St. Olaf College
- Stockton University
- Southern Illinois University
- The Maricopa Institute for Learning
- University of Central Florida
- University of Notre Dame
- University of Washington
- University of West Florida
- University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- Vanderbilt University
- Western Carolina University
- Western Kentucky University
If you have any questions about SoTL, please stop by one of our offices or email us at email@example.com.