Your key to the nursing literature is the Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature (CINAHL).
What Is CINAHL?
CINAHL is a premium database accessible via the UNE Library Services homepage. CINAHL covers more than 50 nursing specialities and 17 allied health disciplines including occupational therapy, physical therapy, physician assistant and athletic training. The database indexes more than 5,000 nursing and allied health journals and contains full-text for 1,400 journals. Also included are evidence-based care sheets, nursing dissertations, state newsletters and continuing education modules.
At the UNE Libraries homepage select Search - Databases. Within the alphabetical menu at top, click C- then scroll to CINAHL. If you are accessing CINAHL from off-campus, you will be prompted for your username and password. CINAHL can also be accessed from Subject Guides for Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Nurse Anesthesia, etc.
Steps to a CINAHL Search:
- Enter your keyword or phrase; limit search to peer reviewed and English Language; click on Search.
- Ex. neoplasms <Search>
- In the Results list click on the article title to view the full record with abstract.
- Mark records desired by clicking on the folder icon to the right of each citation within the Results list; click on Folder View to see selected records and to print, save or email those records.
- View and print any available full-text articles by clicking on PDF Full Text or Check for Full Text.
- Click on Help for assistance
- Use AND to narrow a search
- Ex. neoplasms and patient education
- Use OR to broaden a search
- Ex. neoplasms or cancer
- Use CINAHL Headings to locate specific, controlled vocabulary subject headings; and to “explode” the term and/or select subheadings to refine the search
- To refine search results, use the Refine Results menu on the left side, or click Advanced to see full Search Options (e.g. use Publication Type menu to limit to care plan, legal cases, research, etc.)
- If there is no link to the Full Text, check journal availability by using the Full Text Journals search box from UNE Library Services homepage under Search - Journals. If the journal is not available, use interlibrary loan to request the article, from library homepage under Borrow - ILLiad.
For More Help:
University of New England Library Services: firstname.lastname@example.org 4/17