Dr. Buchanan joined the Physical Therapy faculty as an assistant clinical professor at the University of New England in 2014 after serving as an adjunct professor for more than 10 years. She received her BA in German from Colby College where she was awarded distinction in her major and was selected to Phi Beta Kappa. She received her Masters of Science in Physical Therapy from Boston University while also finishing her Athletic Training certification. In 2001 she earned her PhD in Education with a Sports Medicine Specialization from the University of Virginia. Her PhD research centered on foot and gait biomechanics. During her tenure at UVa she was the graduate assistant for the football team (1999) and men's soccer team (2000). After moving to Maine in 2001 she started a consulting business focusing on gait analysis. She has worked as part of the Boston Marathon Medical Team in the medical tent since 1991 and part of the Beach to Beacon Medical Team since 2001.
Ph.D. - Education with a Sports Medicine Specialization
University of Virginia
M.S. - Physical Therapy
B.A. - German
Board Certifications and Licenses
Physical Therapy - State of Maine and Virginia
National Athletic Trainers Association - Certified Athletic Trainer
Foot and Gait Biomechanics
ACL injury prevention
Foot and Gait Biomechanics, ACL Injury Prevention in Female Athletes, Race Medicine, Community Outreach Programs
- Buchanan KR, Allard N, Buchan D, Curtin M, DiBartolo A. Intra-rater and inter-rater reliability in 2nd Year DPT Students Performing the Navicular Drop Test. Presented at APTA NEXT Conference, Chicago IL. June 12-15, 2019.
- Heindel M, Buchanan KR. Barefoot Rehabilitation of Type II Posterior Tibialis Dysfunction in a Veteran: A Case Report. Presented at the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Orlando FL. May 28-June 1, 2019.
- The Relationship Between Forefoot, Midfoot, and Rearfoot Static Alignment in Pain-Free Individuals. Kirsten Rossner Buchanan, PhD, PT, ATC, Irene McClay Davis, PhD, PT in Journal of Sports and Orthopaedic Physical Therapy. Sept 2005; Vol 35, Number 9. pg 559-566.
- Musculoskeletal Disorders of the Lower Limbs. BA Casazza, MD, J Young, MD and K Rossner, MS, PT, ATC in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Second Edition. Randall L Braddom, MD, editor. W.B. Saunders Company. 2000.
- Baseball / Lacrosse Injuries. Brian A. Casazza, MD, and Kirsten Rossner, MS, PT, ATC in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation – Clinics of North America. Ralph M. Buschbacher, MD, editor. W.B. Saunders Company. February 1999.