The Center for Excellence in Health Innovation (CEHI) focuses on interprofessional education (IPE) in clinical settings, as well as innovative learning activities and research opportunities. The CEHI works at the nexus between health care transformation, public health, and education, building the Institute of Medicine’s competencies for health professionals — providing patient-centered care, working in interdisciplinary teams, employing evidence-based practice, applying quality improvement, and utilizing informatics.
CEHI's priorities are to expand interprofessional education opportunities in clinical settings for UNE students and to implement research projects related to interprofessional practice as part of UNE’s participation as one of several research sites for the National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education.
- Develop and pilot UNE’s Clinical Interprofessional Curriculum (CIPC).
- Expand clinical interprofessional learning opportunities for UNE health professions students to additional clinical sites.
- Evaluate the impact of IPE in clinical settings as part of UNE’s participation in the National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education’s Nexus Innovations Network.
- Develop and implement clinical IPE opportunities for UNE’s pre-clinical students, such as interprofessional immunization clinics for Portland area vulnerable populations.
- Develop and implement a Rural Health Elective for UNE health professions students.
- Provide Team STEPPS certification opportunities for UNE health professions students.