The mission of the Office of Sponsored Programs is to facilitate the University’s goal of becoming a significant research institution by providing faculty with the highest quality research support services, while also protecting the University’s interests by reviewing all proposals to external funding agencies, and by initiating and implementing research related policies and procedures, providing training and outreach, and serving as a liaison between the University and its sponsors.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
- Review and approve on behalf of the University all grant and contract proposals to outside funding agencies;
- Act as institutional signatory on all grants and contracts, as authorized by BOT;
- Negotiate grant and contract awards for the University with funding agencies;
- On active awards, negotiate no-cost extensions and re-budgeting as required;
- Authorize establishment of accounts for accepted awards;
- Negotiate and prepare subcontracts from University awards to other institutions and organizations;
- Interpret and implement University policies related to grants and contracts;
- Review, interpret, and disseminate policies of outside private and governmental funding agencies;
- Assist faculty members in identifying funding sources and preparing proposals;
- Maintain a grant and contract database and generate regular reports on application and award activity;
- Provide advice to Vice President for Research and UNE community regarding compliance regulations affecting research at the University and assist in meeting all regulatory requirements;
- Oversee the Research Compliance Function and the Director of Research Integrity who supports and oversees the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), along with certain operational aspects of the animal facility.
- Perform all administrative functions on behalf of the University relating to its Intellectual Property Committee. Oversee the development of a tech transfer function at the University;
- Act as a liaison to faculty researchers and bring faculty issues of concern to the attention of senior staff;
- Provide representation to the UNE Compliance Committee.