Guide to the Dorothy Healy collection, 1900-1987

Finding aid prepared by Zachary Enright, 13 August 2014
________________________________________

Collection number     000
Title     Dorothy M. Healy collection
Dates     1900-1987, bulk 1964-1987
Extent     .25 Linear Feet
________________________________________

Biographical/Historical Note
Dorothy Healy came to Westbrook College shortly after graduating from Boston University in 1936. For over fifty years she was a forceful presence on the campus, and in her numerous administrative capacities throughout the years, a vociferous advocate and spokesperson for the College. Her career began when she came to Westbrook Junior College as a teacher of English Literature. For more than five decades she served the College in public relations and development, and as editor and author of college publications. Since 1959 Dorothy served as curator of the Maine Women Writers Collection, which she founded with Grace Dow. Ms. Healy passed away October 16, 1990.
________________________________________
Collection Scope and Content
The Dorothy Healy collection currently contains 2 series, records collected by Ms. Healy documenting the history of the buildings and grounds which make up the Westbrook college campus and The Mirror, a small publication edited by Ms. Healy 1961-1972.
________________________________________
Arrangement
The original order has been maintained.
________________________________________
Related Material
________________________________________
Collection Contents

001:  Buildings and Grounds

 

 

 

 

 

All Souls Church: 100th Anniversary, 1967

box 1

folder 1

Abplanalp Library, 1987

box 1

folder 2

Blewett Science Center, 1967

box 1

folder 3

Buxton Property, undated

box 1

folder 4

Clock - 2nd Floor Abplanalp Library, 1973

box 1

folder 5

Corey Garden, undated

box 1

folder 6

Damariscotta Property, 1982

box 1

folder 7

Ginn Hall - McDougall Hall, 1964

box 1

folder 8

Historic District, 1973-1983

box 1

folder 9

Houghton Hall, 1966, 1979

box 1

folder 10

Hersey, 1985

box 1

folder 11

Victoria Huerlin Memorial, undated

box 1

folder 12

Library in a Church, 1971

box 1

folder 13

Ludke Auditorium, 1986

box 1

folder 14

McArthur Gymnasium, 1900

box 1

folder 15

Melville Residence, undated

box 1

folder 16

Moulton Chapel, 1984

box 1

folder 17

Notes, undated

box 1

folder 18

"Around the Campus", circa 1970

box 1

folder 19

 

 

 

002:  The Mirror, December 1961 - Winter 1972                                                                         box 2

 

Physical Description: .5 Linear Feet 1 document case 85 volumes, 1 folder

 

Biographical / Historical

 

The Mirror was a small publication edited by Dorothy Healy in her capacity as head of development. The mirror was published twice a year and included photographs, poetry, and articles relating to events and issues affecting the school.

 

Scope and Contents

 

The Mirror series includes all 22 issues produced over its 11 year run from 1961-1972 as well as an index to all issues.