The UNE School of Social Work is the most uniquely inclusive, supportive, student-centric, on-campus social work program in Southern Maine. We offer a variety of personalized learning options that make this the ideal campus-based social work program for busy people. From a values-based foundation of community experience and face-to-face interactions, you’ll examine some of the most difficult problems facing society today and work to forge new understandings and solutions.
"As an on-campus Social Work student at UNE, the personal connections that I’ve made with other students has been one of the highlights for me, both personally and professionally. Further, as a social worker, it was a great initial experience in building colleagues. The social worker network is very tight-knit, so it's been helpful to learn alongside the students in my cohort, and know that they’ll be the people I will be working with in the future."
- Rebecca Baker (M.S.W., '17)
Eight great reasons to choose the UNE School of Social Work:
- Your field placements are personalized: Select a placement based on your interests, from Maine’s largest network of clinical partners.
- You’ll have multiple learning options, including hybrid (online/offline) courses: We want to make sure that all the advantages of an on-campus social work program are attainable — even for busy adults.
- You’ll be well prepared to enter the workforce: Our graduates tend to be in high demand with local employers due to our strong regional reputation and our unparalleled network of field placement partnerships — in fact, many of our students are hired at their placement sites directly following their internships.
- You’ll train in real-world settings: Our experiential approach allows you to apply your classroom learning in the community and in simulations.
- You’ll learn to work collaboratively across disciplines: UNE’s unique interprofessional education (IPE) model prepares you to work with all types of care providers in any setting.
- Your voice will be heard because we model what we teach: Students have a respected voice in program curriculum and direction.
- You’ll learn from (and with) faculty who walk the walk: We are an active faculty, doing clinical and community work and conducting research.
- You’ll form lifelong bonds: Students receive ongoing, hands-on mentorship and see the School of Social Work as a professional home base, long after graduation.
Choose from three timely certificate programs:
You integrate your passion for expressive arts with community activism, transformation, and healing.
You prepare to become a practitioner versed in trauma theory, the neurobiology of complex trauma, and the effects of working with trauma.
You receive specialized training (and a $10,000 stipend) to promote the health and well-being of Maine’s aging adults with a focus on diverse and underserved populations. *Students must be enrolled in advanced year AY 2021/22 to be eligible.