Safety Training Resources
UNE's goal is to create, maintain and enhance a safe and healthful environment for all individuals associated with the institution including students, faculty, employees and visitors.
A training program was established to ensure compliance with all applicable environmental health and safety standards. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety provides health and safety training, information and compliance assistance.
The employing department shall define which positions within their department require training and ensure that employees attend specified training. Employees are expected to attend all required trainings and observe established policies.
There are quite a few safety training resources out there, if you know where to look. I've listed some of them here, especially those places that have free and/or high quality offerings.
For the University Wide Safety Committee members list, click here.
WebCT training modules List of Training courses available at UNE
The Environmental Health and Safety Department can be contacted to perform class-room style training for the following programs:
- Hazard Communication
- Hazardous Waste
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Laboratory Standard (Laboratory Safety)
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Universal Waste
- Fire Safety
- Radiation Safety
- The Maine Safety Council routinely offers safety related training classes at set locations for a fee. Website.
- The Transportation Safety Institute in Oklahoma City offers many classes on subjects from Aircraft Accident Investigation to Hazardous Materials Transport.
- The National Safety Council offers a variety of training programs, usually for a fee.
- OSHA’s Small Business Outreach Program has a wealth of information to assist small business conduct safety training. The site has everything from "Topic Discussions" to "Student Handouts" - all available online.
- The Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) has a variety of publications available if you're looking for information to use in your training.
- The Center for Disease Control offers a free slide set and info program on preventing emerging infectious disease threats.
- The Southeast AIDS Training and Education Center has materials available for HIV/AIDS education.
- If you're looking to purchase commercial safety products, this might be a good starting point, Safety Online (This is not an endorsement for any of the products or companies represented).
- UNE’s Environmental Health and Safety Department has purchased some commercial safety training videos. Please feel free to call us and ask if we have something that would help you.