The Maine Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Network's mission is to alleviate health workforce shortages in rural and underserved areas of the state. AHEC supports that effort by working with academic and community partners to:
- Provide rural, community-based clinical training experiences for medical and other health professions students
- Encourage Maine youth and mid-career professionals to explore health careers
- Support practicing health professionals with continuing education and distance learning opportunities
The Maine AHEC Network consists of the:
- Program Office at the University of New England (UNE) on the Portland Campus and our three Centers:
- Eastern Maine AHEC at Penobscot Community Health Care in Bangor
- Northern Maine AHEC at Northern Maine Community College in Presque Isle
- Western Maine AHEC at Franklin Community Health Network in Farmington
The Maine AHEC Network is supported by funding from the Health Resources and Services Administration (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services), UNE, and the Finance Authority of Maine.
Maryfrances S. Smith, program manager for the Office of the Maine Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Network in UNE’s School of Community and Population Health,...
Dora Anne Mills, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.A.P., UNE vice president for clinical affairs and director of Public Health Programs, was interviewed for a WMTW 8 news...
Dora Anne Mills, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.A.P., UNE vice president for clinical affairs and director of Public Health Programs, was interviewed for a WGME13 news story...