The Maine Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Network's mission is to alleviate health workforce shortages in rural and underserved areas of the state. AHEC supports that effort by working with academic and community partners to:
- Provide rural, community-based clinical training experiences for medical and other health professions students
- Encourage Maine youth and mid-career professionals to explore health careers
- Support practicing health professionals with continuing education and distance learning opportunities
The Maine AHEC Network consists of the:
- Program Office at the University of New England (UNE) on the Portland Campus and our three Centers:
- Eastern Maine AHEC at Penobscot Community Health Care in Bangor
- Northern Maine AHEC at Northern Maine Community College in Presque Isle
- Western Maine AHEC at Franklin Community Health Network in Farmington
The Maine AHEC Network is supported by funding from the Health Resources and Services Administration (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services), UNE, and the Finance Authority of Maine.
Priority Initiatives 2014-15
- Expand our pipeline activities to include more youth from rural and underserved areas with opportunities to engage in health career activities.
- Strengthen our engagement with health professions’ students to enhance their knowledge and exposure to the unique and exciting challenges of practicing primary care, especially in rural communities.
- Continue to provide health career learning opportunities for students from the tribes and mentor those who have an interest in health professions.
- Increase opportunities for students and preceptors to participate in interprofessional practice and education programs.
Maryfrances S. Smith, program manager for the Office of the Maine Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Network in UNE’s School of Community and Population Health,...
Dora Anne Mills, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.A.P., UNE vice president for clinical affairs and director of Public Health Programs, was interviewed for a WMTW 8 news...
Dora Anne Mills, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.A.P., UNE vice president for clinical affairs and director of Public Health Programs, was interviewed for a WGME13 news story...