Room Changes

Room changes are offered based on space availability and in order of the date of receipt of the Room Change Request Form. We are not able to offer room changes if the space is not available or if your roommate request is not mutual. 

You can pick up the Room Change Request Form at our office located in East Hall. The room change period begins two weeks after the start of an academic semester; we also offer room changes to returning students over the summer months.

Once you have submitted the Room Change Request Form, an Area Coordinator will arrange a meeting with you to discuss why you are seeking a room change. In the instance of a roommate conflict, the availability of space will not prevent the existing process, which includes, but is not limited to roommate mediation by both the Resident Advisor and Area Coordinator.

If a room change offer is approved and available, we will contact you via the information you have provided on the Room Change Request Form. You have 24 hours to accept or decline a room change offer. If you decline the offer, you may request to remain on file, but understand that your Room Change Request Form will be returned to the back of the queue.

If you accept a room change, the following things will happen:

  • We will contact the new roommate to make sure that the space is clean and ready for you to move in. The new roommate has 48 hours to prepare the room. Our office will contact your Resident Advisor to complete your Room Condition Report Form.
  • You will need to tell your roommate(s) that you are moving and that they can potentially expect a new roommate.
  • Come to the Office of Housing and Residential Education to complete your acceptance paperwork and obtain keys/access.You will have 48 hours to complete your move. You will be given a copy of your acceptance paperwork to keep for your records.
  • Our office will contact your Resident Advisor to complete your Room Condition Report Form. You have 48 hours to meet with your resident advisor to check out of your old room and check in to your new room.
  • Turn in your old key (if applicable) to the Office of Residential Education and Housing in East Hall on the deadline date by 5 p.m.