In service to students and faculty across the University, the SASC provides peer writing consultants and professional instructors to assist with various aspects of the writing process for both undergraduate and graduate programs. During consultations with writing specialists and tutors, you may seek assistance and instruction in the following areas:
Understanding and approaching the requirements for assignments
- Does the assignment require: analysis, definition, evaluation, summary, etc.?
- What are the criteria for — format, length, organization, etc.?
Planning for the writing process
- Strategies for conducting research and taking notes
- Outlining ideas and information
- Narrowing or broadening focus
- Developing effective drafting and writing skills:
- Getting started, pre-writing techniques
- Organizing: sentences, paragraphs and essays
Presenting final written products
- Developing writing through revision
- Using appropriate documentation styles and formats:
The SASC’s writing support program focuses on developing and improving the presentation of ideas and information. The instructors and peer writing consultants do not deal directly with the content of specific assignments or projects.
Students Will Receive
- One-on-one tutorial time and/or small group writing conferences (appointment recommended).
- Support in all areas of pre-writing, drafting and revising.
- Encouragement and guidance to become independent learners.
Writing Instructors and Peer Writing Consultants Will
- Conduct sessions in a timely and professional manner.
- Assist with revising the presentation of ideas, not the content, in writing.
- Consult with other writing faculty and the coordinator as necessary.
Find the full schedule of available Writing Support at une.tutortrac.com.