A decision to delay the opening time or to cancel school at the University due to inclement weather (snow or ice storms) will be made by 6:30 a.m. for day classes based on conditions at the University (each campus) and the immediate surrounding area after consulting with the weather service. The University's decision to cancel school or activities later in the day, evening, or weekends due to inclement weather will be made at least two hours prior to the class or event.
- It is understood that a decision to either delay school opening or to close down the school early impacts classes as illustrated in the following examples and protocols: One hour delay - 8 a.m. classes are canceled. Attend 9 a.m. class if applicable.
- Two hour delay: 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. classes are canceled. Attend 10 a.m. classes or remaining portion of a scheduled class not ended by 10 a.m.
- School closing at 3 p.m.: Students will be excused at 3 p.m. and all remaining classes will be canceled.
- Use these examples as a guide to delays or cancellations that may take place any time other than those designated above.
- Final Exam Schedule impact
- Student interns who have clinical responsibilities outside of the University or in University clinics should follow protocol established by the clinical site.
Announcements will be made for each campus as follows:
- INTERNET/TELEVISION - WCSH-TV Channel 6 - www.wcsh6.com, WMTW-TV Channel 8 - www.wmtw.com, and WGME-TV Channel 13 - www.wgme.com.
- TELEPHONE BULLETIN BOARD - Call 602-2211 or 797-7688, x2211. Please do not call the switchboard or answering service because you cannot access the appropriate message since they are set up to handle emergency calls only.
- myUNE – http://my.une.edu
- une.edu - http://www.une.edu
- @unetweets - https://www.twitter.com/unetweets
- @unealerts - https://www.twitter.com/unealerts
- PORTLAND RADIO GROUP – www.portlandradiogroup.com FM Stations 93.1, 101.9, 100.9, and 98.9
During work cancellations/delays, only ESSENTIAL PERSONNEL are required to report to work at their normal starting times or at times arranged by their supervisor including Facilities Management Staff, University Health Care Personnel, Food Service Personnel, Security and Safety Personnel.
The University switchboard or answering service will be in operation at all times.
Faculty and Staff: Consistent with the University's mission, faculty and staff are expected to be available to meet student needs when the University is open. In extreme circumstances where faculty elect, for their own reasons, not to attend work on storm days when the University is open, should follow college protocol for notifying students by placing an appropriate announcement on their voice mail at UNE, and/or for those that have Internet access on a home computer, sending a message to their class group on myUNE.
Faculty are reminded that some students leave their homes very early to attend classes, so messages should be timely. Similarly, staff should notify their immediate supervisor. Employees working on any shift other than the day shift will be notified of a delayed starting time or cancellation of their shift by the Department or Division Director. Employees who elect, for whatever reason, not to attend work when the University opens late, or leave early when the University does not close, will have time charged against the appropriate leave category.