The mission of the Histology and Imaging Core is to provide COBRE investigators and the greater UNE research community access to expertise, training and specialized instrumentation related to tissue processing, sectioning, staining, immunohistochemistry and microscopy.
Additionally the Core offers services and training related to image analysis and image analysis software to guide investigators in choosing the best methods for presenting their data.
Location: Pickus, 2nd floor
Tissue Processing and Sectioning
- A tissue processor
- An embedding station
- A rotary microtome for paraffin-embedded tissue
- A fully-automated Leica microtome for paraffin and plastic-embedded tissue
- Two Leica cryostats
- A freezing microtome with Peltier thermal-controlled stage
- A vibratome for fresh tissue
- Light microscopes with fluorescence, digital cameras and motorized stage
- An inverted microscope with fluorescence
- A Fuji LAS-3000 luminescence/ fluorescence imaging system
- An Odyssey infrared imaging system
- A Carestream In Vivo MS FX Pro imaging system
Leica confocal microscope
Services and Training
- Training in the use of instruments for sectioning and microscopes
- Tissue processing, sectioning and staining
- Antibody optimization and staining protocols
- Training in image analysis and image analysis software
Please remember to acknowledge the COBRE Histology and Imaging Core and the financial support provided by the NIGMS (grant number P20GM103643) in manuscripts, grants and presentations that include our work.