UNE offers basic life insurance coverge and supplemenatl life insurance coverage through The Standard. Carefully review your eligibility and plan specifics to determine the coverage that is right for you.
- Summary Plan Description
- Participation in Life Insurance benefits may begin the first of the month after your hire date or qualifying event. If your hire date or event occurs on the first of the month, then benefits begin on the date of hire or qualifying event.
Basic Coverage Eligibility
- Full-time Employees: UNE pays for full-time employees to have 1 time their annual salary in basic life insurance. This coverage has a $20,000 minimum benefit and a $300,000 maximum benefit.
- Half-time Employees: You may purchase 1, 2, 3, or 4 times your annual salary in basic life insurance. This coverage has a $500,000 maximum benefit.
Supplemental Coverage Eligibility
- Full-time Employees: You may elect 1, 2, 3, or 4 times your annual salary in additional life insurance. This Coverage has a $500,000 maximum benefit.
- UNE also provides a $2.50 monthly credit to use to purchase additional life insurance, pay toward other benefits, or take in cash.
Important Things to Consider:
If you purchase greater than $350,000 of coverage
You may purchase $350,000 of coverage with no proof of inusrability. However, if you purchase amounts in excess of $350,000 you will be required to complete the Evidence of Insurability Form (EOI). For this purpose, UNE's group name is University of New England and group number is 144362-A .
Failure to complete the EOI may affect your benefit.
IF YOU will be turning 70 years of age or already Are
- When an employee turns age 70 their elected life insurance coverage (and associated premium) is reduced by 50%. This adjustment takes place on the employee’s birthday.
- If you are turning 70 in 2016, simply double the level of coverage for 2016 during Open Enrollment that you would like to have by the end of the year. HR and Payroll will adjust the premium behind the scenes at the time of your birthday and you will see the deduction reduce by 50% at that time.
- For those already 70 or over, during Open Enrollment opt for double the level of coverage that you require keeping in mind that that actual level of coverage amount will be 50% reduced by 50%. The deduction to your paycheck will be based on the 50% premium rate.
Supplemental Life Insurance Plan Costs
|Employee's age as of 1/1/13||
Cost per $1,000 of coverage per month
The Standard Life Insurance Plan
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
UNE provides all regular full-time employees with Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance coverage of 1 time your annual base salary at no cost. This coverage pays benefits if you die, lose a limb, or lose sensory function as the result of an accident.