Ravi Vumma, B.Pharm, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Associate Clinical Professor
Ravi Vumma is an Associate Clinical Professor of Pharmacology at the School of Pharmacy, University of New England. He teaches pharmacology to Pharm.D. students and conducts research in the fields of neuro-immuno-pharmacology and nutrition-gut-brain interactions, utilizing human cell models.
With more than a decade of experience in teaching and research in academia, Dr. Vumma previously served as a Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology at Linnaeus University, Kalmar, Sweden, and as a Senior Lecturer in Biomedicine at Orebro University, Orebro, Sweden, before joining the University of New England.
Dr. Vumma earned his Ph.D. in Biomedicine (Neuroscience) from Orebro University, Sweden, where he also completed his Postdoctoral fellowship. He holds a Master of Science in Molecular Biology from the University of Skövde, Sweden, and a Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy from Osmania University, Hyderabad, India.
- Rode J, Yang L, König J, Hutchinson AN, Wall R, Venizelos N, Brummer R, Rangel I, Vumma R. Butyrate Rescues Oxidative Stress-Induced Transport Deficits of Tryptophan: Potential Implication in Affective or Gut-Brain Axis Disorders. Neuropsychobiology. 2020:1-11
- Pernow Y, Shahror R, Acharya S, Jahnson L, Vumma R, Venizelos N. Aberrant tryptophan transport in cultured fibroblast from patients with Male Idiopathic Osteoporosis: An in vitro study. Bone reports. 2018;8:25-8.
- Vumma R, Johansson J, Venizelos N: Proinflammatory cytokines and oxidative stress decrease the transport of dopamine precursor tyrosine in human fibroblasts. Neuropsychobiology 2017;75:178-184.
- Comasco E, Vumma R, Toffoletto S, Johansson J, Flyckt L, Lewander T, et al. Genetic and Functional Study of L-Type Amino Acid Transporter 1 in Schizophrenia. Neuropsychobiology. 2016;74(2):96-103.
- Vumma R, Bang CS, Kruse R, Johansson K, Persson K. Antibacterial effects of nitric oxide on uropathogenic Escherichia coli during bladder epithelial cell colonization--a comparison with nitrofurantoin. The Journal of antibiotics. 2016;69(3):183-6.
- Demirel I, Vumma R, Mohlin C, Svensson L, Save S, Persson K. Nitric oxide activates IL-6 production and expression in human renal epithelial cells. American journal of nephrology. 2012;36(6):524-30.
- Johansson J, Landgren M, Fernell E, Vumma R, Ahlin A, Bjerkenstedt L, et al. Altered tryptophan and alanine transport in fibroblasts from boys with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): an in vitro study. Behavioral and brain functions : BBF. 2011;7:40.
- Save S, Mohlin C, Vumma R, Persson K. Activation of adenosine A2A receptors inhibits neutrophil transuroepithelial migration. Infection and immunity. 2011;79(8):3431-7.
- Vumma R, Johansson J, Lewander T, Venizelos N. Tryptophan transport in human fibroblast cells-a functional characterization. International journal of tryptophan research : IJTR. 2011;4:19-27.
- Persson ML, Johansson J, Vumma R, Raita J, Bjerkenstedt L, Wiesel FA, et al. Aberrant amino acid transport in fibroblasts from patients with bipolar disorder. Neuroscience letters. 2009;457(1):49-52.
- Vumma R, Wiesel FA, Flyckt L, Bjerkenstedt L, Venizelos N. Functional characterization of tyrosine transport in fibroblast cells from healthy controls. Neuroscience letters. 2008;434(1):56-60.