Contact Sonya for research help! You will also see her teaching library workshops in the Ketchum Library. She is the subject specialist to the School of Marine and Environmental Programs, the School of Professional Programs, and the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
Racial Equity Insitute Phase 1 Training, 2019.
New England Library Leadership Symposium (NELLS). Mentor (2019) and Attendee (2013).
SIMSOC Simulated Society. Leadership Maine, Maine Development Foundation. 2018.
American Library Association Leadership Institute, 2017.
Library Advocacy Unshushed MOOC. University of Toronto 2015.
Innovative Librarians Explore, Apply, and Discover (ILEAD) Maine Civic Engagement Team 2015.
Maine Library Leadership Institute 2013.
Copyright 101, Copyright Clearing Center. 2011.
Grant Writing Certificate. The University of Southern Maine. 2011.
Currently completing doctoral studies at the Muskie School of Public Service (USM). My dissertation is a mixed-method study exploring relationships between professional librarian's political self-efficacy, their involvement with policy advocacy, and their education in regards to advocacy and public policy as it impacts libraries. Communities need strong libraries, and libraries need strong library advocates!
Other scholarly activity
- Maine Library Association’s Legislative Efforts. Maine Library Association Conference. October 2019.
- LibrariesStrong: State Ecosystems Mobilize to Defeat Censorship Legislation. American Library Association Webinar. May 2019
- Marketing Your Academic Library. Maine Library Association Conference. October 2018.
- Talking about Whiteness in the Library. New England Library Association Conference, Rhode Island. October 2018.
- Improving Civil Discourse Through Shared Community Stories. Nevola Symposium, Colby College. June 2018.
- Libraries and Market Research Startup Sprint Workshop @ Big Room Studios, Portland Maine. January and February 2018
- SCORE Business Data Lunch Bytes at PPL. Portland Public Library. Quarterly, Fall 2014 – Summer 2017
- Tech Transfer: Solve-A-Thon. Maine Startup and Create Week, June 2017
- Civility Goes Viral: A New Approach for a New Era. Webjunction Webinar. April 2017.
- Celebrating Success: PPL’s Choose Civility Initiative. Maine Library Association. November 2016
- An Aspiring Entrepreneur Walks into a Library and Wants to Open A Pub. New England Library Association. October 2016.
- Libraries of the Future: Low Tech Tools for Changemakers. American Library Association Annual, Orlando FL. June 2016
- Libraries: R&D Centers in Your City. Maine Startup and Create Week, Portland ME. June 2016
- Growing Your Business: Free Tools and Time-Tested Strategies. Mainebiz Momentum Convention, Augusta ME. Fall 2015
- Value of Community Outreach. Southern Maine Library District Webinar. February 2015
- Finding Business Data Using Library Resources. Southern Maine Community College Launch or Grow Conference. April 2015
- Maine Library Leadership Overview. Maine Library Association, Augusta ME. Fall 2014
- Find That Stat, Stat. Health Science Librarians and Information Consortium Spring Meeting. Maine General Medical Center, Waterville ME. May 2013
- PPL’s Business Resources. Mainebiz Momentum Convention, Augusta Civic Center. Fall 2012
- How to Increase Business Reference. Maine Library Association. The University of Maine Orono. Spring 2012
- Nonprofits and Lobbying. Pappas Law Library at Boston University, Spring 2010