This website uses cookies to understand how you use the website and to improve your experience. By continuing to use the website, you accept the University of New England’s use of cookies and similar technologies. To learn more about our use of cookies and how to manage your browser cookie settings, please review our Privacy Notice.


International Student Admissions

The University of New England (UNE) welcomes applications from students from around the world.

UNE is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and has been approved by the Department of Homeland Security to enroll international students and issue student and/or exchange visitor visa-qualifying documents (I-20/DS-2019). We comply with all regulations of the U.S. Government pertaining to the enrollment and tracking of international students under the SEVIS Program.

At UNE, an international student is someone who is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. (holder of a “Green Card”). Prospective international students must meet the same admissions criteria required of all other applicants.

Note:  Applicants to online programs are not eligible for a student visa.


An international applicant (not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. who will require a visa to study in the U.S.)


An applicant with international degrees or coursework (a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. who has been educated outside of the U.S. and will not require a visa to study in the U.S.)

  • General admissions criteria for the University and its academic programs can be found by accessing the undergraduate or graduate admissions catalogs or the individual program or major.
  • In addition to the general University admissions criteria, and program specific criteria, international students must also meet the following:

    English Language Proficiency
    • International applicants must be able to understand and communicate in English to gain full admission to the University of New England. If English is not your native language, you will need to submit documentation that indicates your level of English proficiency.
    • UNE accepts several methods of English proficiency including the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), as well as others. Students may meet the minimum standards for English proficiency at UNE by demonstrating one of the following:
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) 550 (paper-based)
213 (computer-based)
79 (internet-based)
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band 6.0 or higher
IB (International Baccalaureate) Grade 5 or higher
SAT (Critical Reading and Writing Sections) 500 or higher
GRE (Analytical Writing Section) 4.0 or higher
AP English Language and Composition Exams Score of 3 or higher with college transfer credit received
One year of English composition, taken at a U.S. institution, which counts as transfer credit at UNE (not ESL)    Grade of "C" or higher


Additional Methods:

  • Students who have attended a regionally accredited U.S. high school or U.S. Department of Defense school overseas for at least three years, or have received an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s degree or doctorate from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university may meet English proficiency requirements.
  • UNE may waive the English proficiency requirement for students who graduated from a regionally accredited school in other English-speaking countries. Please contact the Office of Admissions for more information. 
  • Passing scores on the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certification (with submission of photocopy of ECFMG certification to UNE Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions).


Federal law requires that we document how you will finance your education in the U.S., prior to issuing the appropriate student visa application form. In addition to the application for admission to your program of interest, all international applicants must: 

  • Upon acceptance, complete the International Student Supplemental Application Form.
  • Submit a Bank Statement indicating that the applicant has sufficient funds in U.S. dollars to cover the annual cost of attendance for undergraduate or graduate enrollment at UNE. Bank statement must be on letterhead and be officially certified or notarized to be considered acceptable documentation.


  • English Translation of Transcript
  • Official transcripts from ALL schools attended must be submitted to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions as a part of the application process.
  • All official scholastic records submitted in support of your application must be in English or include English translations.
  • English translations should be literal (word-for-word, not interpretive) translations.
  • For specific procedures and admission criteria for each of our academic programs, please check the program website.
  • Evaluation of Transcripts
  • UNE requires all international applicants and all U.S. students with international degrees or coursework to have international transcripts evaluated for degree and grade equivalency to that of a regionally accredited institution within the U.S. (Any exceptions to this policy will be noted in specific program admissions requirements.)
  • UNE will accept transcript evaluations from World Education Services (WES) only. Evaluations must be for grade and degree equivalency. Please order the WES ICAP service to ensure that copies of your transcripts will be included with the evaluation report.
  • International medical school graduates only: If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. you must have the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) submit review and verification of the equivalency of your medical degree to that of one earned at a regionally accredited U.S. medical school. The ECFMG review and verification of the student’s International Medical Degree will be accepted as an official evaluation of the degree.
  • Official transcripts from Canadian Medical Schools that are approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) do not require external evaluation. There is joint accreditation between LCME and Canada adding 17 more schools to the LCME list. Any school on this LCME list can be considered as offering a valid Doctor of Medicine (MD). 

Please note: official transcripts from ALL schools that the student has attended, U.S. or International, must be submitted to the Office Admissions as a part of the application process. Concerns regarding your ability to provide official transcripts should be directed to your admissions counselor.

Seek Assistance in Your Home Country
For further assistance with securing official documents and information from your country, please contact your local U.S. Embassy/U.S. Consulate/Office of Public Affairs for referral to an overseas educational advising center near you, or consult the list available on the U.S. State Department website.

Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog

This Catalog documents the academic programs, policies, and activities of the University of New England for the 2014-2015 academic year. The information contained herein is accurate as of date of publication May 30, 2014.

The University of New England reserves the right in its sole judgment to make changes of any nature in its programs, calendar, or academic schedule whenever it is deemed necessary or desirable, including changes in course content, the rescheduling of classes with or without extending the academic term, canceling of scheduled classes or other academic activities, in any such case giving such notice thereof as is reasonably practicable under the circumstances.

While each student may work closely with an academic advisor, he or she must retain individual responsibility for meeting requirements in this catalog and for being aware of any changes in provisions or requirements.