The Maine Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Network's mission is to alleviate health workforce shortages in rural and underserved areas of the state. AHEC supports that effort by working with academic and community partners to:
- Provide rural, community-based clinical training experiences for medical and other health professions students
- Encourage Maine youth and mid-career professionals to explore health careers
- Support practicing health professionals with continuing education and distance learning opportunities
The Maine AHEC Network consists of the:
- Program Office at the University of New England (UNE) on the Portland Campus and our three Centers:
- Eastern Maine AHEC at Penobscot Community Health Care in Bangor
- Northern Maine AHEC at Northern Maine Community College in Presque Isle
- Western Maine AHEC at Franklin Community Health Network in Farmington
The Maine AHEC Network is supported by funding from the Health Resources and Services Administration (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services), UNE, and the Finance Authority of Maine.
Priority Initiatives 2016-17
- Increase our knowledge of the impact of pipeline programs through the implementation of a pipeline tracking system, and the collection of consistent pipeline competencies data.
- Expand the number of preceptors from across the state, and provide Interprofessional Education continuing education programs to them and others in rural areas.
- Continue to provide the Veteran’s Administration with educational programs and evaluate the effectiveness of those programs.
- Meet the National AHEC Organization’s HPV Immunization Project goal to increase awareness as well as train health professionals about the HPV vaccine.
- Identify further areas of collaboration between Maine AHEC Network and university and local partners to:
- Support Interprofessional Education activities
- Increase student exposure to public health concepts
- Develop and implement enhanced community health rotations in targeted rural areas
- Increase connections to students interested in rural health or primary care
A new school year is right around the corner, and for some students it will soon be time to decide what direction to take after...
On August 5-7, 2017, twenty-six high school students from across New England converged at the University of New England (UNE) for an immersive Dental Careers...
In a continuing partnership with the Maine Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Network, UNE faculty have visited with high school students who are part of...