The Maine Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Network's mission is to alleviate health workforce shortages in rural and underserved areas of the state. AHEC supports that effort by working with academic and community partners to:
- Provide rural, community-based clinical training experiences for medical and other health professions students
- Encourage Maine youth and mid-career professionals to explore health careers
- Support practicing health professionals with continuing education and distance learning opportunities
The Maine AHEC Network consists of the:
- Program Office at the University of New England (UNE) on the Portland Campus and our three Centers:
- Eastern Maine AHEC location will be announced soon
- Northern Maine AHEC at Northern Maine Community College in Presque Isle
- Western Maine AHEC at Franklin Community Health Network in Farmington
The Maine AHEC Network is supported by funding from the Health Resources and Services Administration (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services), UNE, and the Finance Authority of Maine.
Health Careers Exploration Camp
Are you a high school student interested in exploring a career in health care? If so, apply for our third annual Health Careers Exploration Camp (PDF).
Nearly 60 UNE health professions students, from eight different programs, recently participated in the CLARION Case Competition, a student-driven national initiative originating from the University...
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNE COM) student Justine Monthony (D.O., ’21) recently completed a four-week rural rotation at Mount Desert Island...
The University of New England Dental Hygiene program , College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM), College of Dental Medicine (CDM), Maine Area Health Education Center (AHEC)...