Undergraduate Academic Policy and Regulations

Academic Load

A typical academic load for undergraduate students ranges from 12 to 18 credit hours per semester during both fall and spring terms. However, permission from an advisor is required for enrollment in 19 or 20 credits, while permission from the academic dean is necessary for enrollment in more than 20 credits. Students must register for at least 12 credits per semester to maintain full-time status. Any student attempting more than 18 credits during a semester will be subject to an overload charge at the part-time per-credit tuition rate.

Definition of a Semester

A semester is defined as a 15-week period of instructional time or its equivalent in effort.

Federal Definition of the Credit Hour

Federal regulation defines a credit hour as an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalence that reasonably approximates not less than

  1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester.
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practicals, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

Student Classification

Student classification is crucial for financial aid eligibility, class standing, and organizational purposes. The following chart outlines the classification based on the minimum credits earned toward a UNE degree:


*Beyond Baccalaureate Degree

Student Enrollment Status

Student enrollment status, used for financial aid loan deferments, is determined based on credit hour enrollment, as outlined in the following table:

UndergraduateFull Time12.0 or more
Undergraduate3/4 Time9.0–11.9
UndergraduateHalf Time6.0–8.9
UndergraduateLess than half-time1.0–5.9

Registration and Enrollment Confirmation

Students matriculated in any undergraduate program must be pre-approved to register for courses through their advisor. The Registrar and Academic Advising staff will register first-time students. New students will receive their course schedule at new student orientation. Returning students can register for courses at dates established in the University's Academic Calendar.

At the beginning of each semester, all students must confirm their enrollment within specified timelines using methods provided by the University Registrar's Office. Instructions for enrollment confirmation are communicated to each student via email.

Course registration can only be confirmed after fulfilling all other university obligations, including resolving matters with Student Accounts, Financial Aid, the Health Center, Security, or any other relevant offices necessary for complete enrollment at the university.

Changes to course schedules are permitted only during a designated add/drop period, as outlined in the current academic calendar. Detailed instructions and timelines regarding the add/drop process are emailed to each student. It's important to note that tuition and/or financial aid may be adjusted based on the number of credit hours enrolled during this period.

Class Attendance

All students are required to attend all classes for which they are registered. Each instructor establishes and communicates attendance policies, including guidelines for unexcused absences. If a student's absence significantly impacts their academic performance, the instructor will notify the department chair or program director with remarks regarding their standing in the course. Typically, the number of absences in a semester should not exceed the frequency of class meetings per week for each course.

If an instructor formally reports a student as excessively absent in writing to the department chair or program director, and upon approval from the department chair or program director, the instructor may withdraw the student from the course with an appropriate grade.

Absences due to religious observances are considered excused, and students should not face academic penalties for these absences. Before the absence, students are responsible for arranging with the faculty to obtain missed class information. Additionally, at the faculty's discretion, students may be required to take any missed exams before or after the scheduled exam time. All assignments must be submitted on time as per the course requirements.

Athletic Competition and Class Attendance

If an athlete misses class due to a scheduled varsity intercollegiate competition, the absence is considered excused, and the student-athlete should not face any academic penalties. However, this policy does not extend to students on clinical rotations.

In such cases, the student-athlete is responsible for initiating communication with faculty to obtain all missed class materials and training. Additionally, arrangements must be made to take any exams scheduled on the day of absence either before or after the scheduled exam time, based on the instructor's preference. All assignments are still expected to be submitted on time.

It's important to note that faculty are not obligated to provide additional remediation for student-athletes due to these absences.


Semesters are 16 weeks long (15 weeks of classes and one week of final exams). The University expects all undergraduate courses to incorporate appropriate procedures for assessing student performance unless the department chairperson/program director and the college dean grant an exception. Common assessment methods for undergraduate courses include final exams, final papers or projects, or other cumulative activities relevant to the discipline and course.

All final exams must be administered during the designated finals week as specified on the Registrar’s Final Examination Schedule.

Final papers, projects, or exams are not permitted to be due during the last week of the course. Generally, undergraduate courses should schedule final exams and paper/project submissions during finals week.

All courses are assigned a final examination time and room during the final exam week except for:

  • Labs
  • Research Courses
  • Internships/Practicums/Clinical/Field Work

Although the Registrar's Office typically releases the final examination schedule around the fifth week of the semester, instructors are encouraged to provide as much information as possible about the final exam schedule in the syllabus, including duration, and remind students not to make travel plans until the exam date and time are confirmed.

All undergraduate grades, whether based on final examinations, papers, or culminating projects, must be submitted by noon on the Monday following Final Exam Week.

Graduation Requirements for Undergraduates

The academic requirements specified in the catalog at the time of a student's enrollment in a program of study typically serve as the standard for graduation. If a student withdraws or is dismissed from the University and later reenters, they must adhere to the catalog requirements in effect at the time of reentry.

While academic advisors are available to assist students in meeting major and graduation requirements, the ultimate responsibility for these matters lies with the student. All undergraduate students entering the University from the fall semester of 1995 onward must fulfill the following general requirements:

  1. Completion of a minimum of 120 credits for a baccalaureate-level program, as outlined in the specific program requirements listed under each degree/major.
  2. Completion of university core requirements, designed to explore key college themes, develop essential skills, and prepare for lifelong learning.
  3. Completion of the requirements of at least one major program of study.
  4. Completion of any minors or general elective credits of further study in areas of interest.
  5. Residence in the final 30 credits of the program.
  6. Submission of an online Application for Graduation by the relevant deadlines listed on the Academic Calendar.
  7. Settlement of all financial obligations with UNE.
  8. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0, although higher grade point requirements may be applicable in certain programs. Students should refer to departmental and degree/major requirements for specific details.

A fourth-year student who anticipates completing degree requirements at the end of the fall semester with two courses (typically totaling 6-8 credits*) or fewer remaining may choose from the following options:

  1. Attend the May commencement ceremony before their final semester (diploma awarded upon completion of studies).
  2. Attend the May commencement ceremony following their final semester.

*Note: The student's remaining credits may exceed 6-8 if the two courses involve clinical, practicum, or internship study. Additionally, credits from the Learning Assistance Center and developmental mathematics courses do not count toward fulfillment of graduation requirements.

Residency Requirements

Every course offered for credit by the University of New England is classified as residence or campus credit. This encompasses University-sponsored off-campus experiences such as internships, distance learning, exchange programs, and consortium courses.

Bachelor’s Degree

To obtain a baccalaureate degree, students must fulfill a minimum of 30 credits out of the final 45 credits while in residence at the University of New England.

Second Bachelor’s Degree

Upon completing their first degree, students seeking a second bachelor’s degree must complete an additional 30 semester hours in residency. If the initial degree is earned from the University of New England, the same residency requirements apply as for the first bachelor’s degree.

A waiver of residency requirements can be requested by submitting a written request to the Office of the University Registrar. The student’s advisor and the appropriate College Dean’s Office will thoroughly review each request. Requestors can expect to receive written notification of the decision within one month of submission.

Dual Degree Policy

A dual degree program is one in which the student works toward satisfying the academic requirements for two distinct degree types (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Social Work, or Bachelor of Science in Nursing). To achieve the academic depth and breadth implied by a program of study that results in the awarding of two undergraduate degrees, a dual degree program consists of substantial additional coursework as compared to that required for a double major, namely a minimum of 30 additional semester hours beyond the credit hours required for the degree program comprised of the smaller number of credits.

Students who complete a dual degree program receive two diplomas, one for each degree earned (BA, BS, BSN, BSW).

For more information, see:

Student Advising

The University of New England assigns professional advisors and faculty mentors to each first- and second-year student. Third- and fourth-year students will transition to have their faculty mentor as their primary advisor. Students must visit an advisor at least once a semester and during important milestones. Advisors serve as the student's primary academic and career guidance planning resource.

Declaration and Change of Major

If a student is Undeclared, they must formally declare their major by March 15 of their second year using the appropriate form, which can be obtained online or from the University Registrar’s Office. Additionally, any required concentrations must be declared by March 15th of the second year. However, students intending to major in marine biology, medical biology, and elementary education are encouraged to declare their majors by the end of their first year. The declaration form must be signed by both the advisor and the chair/director of the major department. The chosen major must be an existing, approved academic program of study, which can be found in the undergraduate catalog.

Please note:

  1. Change of major requests submitted during the semester will take effect the following semester.
  2. Change of major requests are typically not processed during the student’s final semester at the University.

Personal Major (College of Arts and Sciences Only)

In exceptional circumstances, students in the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) may propose a personalized major as an alternative to a conventional academic major program. Creating a personalized major requires sponsorship from an academic department within CAS and approval from the CAS Dean’s office. To gain approval for a personalized major, undergraduate students must collaborate with faculty from the college/department and the CAS academic dean to develop a comprehensive program that integrates core curriculum, departmental requirements, and a course of study aligned with the student's scholarly interests. To qualify for a personalized major, students must be in their second year of study and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50. Additionally, students pursuing a Personal Major must complete, without exception, the equivalent of one full academic year at full-time status (minimum of 30 credit hours) after the approval of their degree program. Detailed policies and procedures regarding proposal guidelines are accessible through the CAS Dean’s office.

Double Major Policy

A double major is a program of study that fulfills the requirements of two distinct majors within a single Bachelor’s degree, whether a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science. This program includes the courses necessary to satisfy the degree requirements for each of the two majors, along with the courses needed to meet the core requirements of the degree. The minimum number of credit hours needed for the double major is determined by the total number of credits required for the major with the highest credit hour requirement for the degree. For instance, if a Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics requires 120 credits to graduate and a Bachelor of Science in Applied Exercise Science requires 122 credits, a student double majoring in Applied Exercise Science and Applied Mathematics must complete at least 122 credit hours to earn the degree.

Upon fulfilling the requirements for a double major, students receive a single diploma that recognizes both majors. For example, a student may earn a Bachelor of Science in Applied Exercise Science with a second major in Applied Mathematics.

Academic Minors

The University of New England allows students to pursue a minor program of study through a minor application process. A minor is a structured academic plan that complements the student's major area of study. To declare a minor, students must first have a declared major. Available minor options are in the undergraduate catalog under the "minors" section. The minimum requirement for completing a minor is 18 credits. It's important to note that minors are listed on the transcript, not UNE diplomas.

Please note that minors are typically not added during a student’s final semester at the University unless all requirements are fulfilled by the end of that semester and the minor is declared by March 15th.

Undergraduate Grading System

The following grading system is presently in effect: A, A- (outstanding work), B+, B, B- (excellent work), C-, C, C-(satisfactory work), D (passing but not satisfactory work), F (failure), P (pass), I (incomplete), W (withdrawal), *W (late withdrawal) *F (administrative F, assigned to incompletes which haven't been completed within designated time), and AU (audit). NG is assigned when instructors do not assign grades.

GradeQuality Points

Grade Changes

Students who have concerns about the accuracy of a grade should reach out to the respective instructor for resolution. If there is a valid reason for a grade change, the instructor will submit a Faculty Request to Change a Grade form to the Registrar's Office. It's important to note that grade changes will not be considered for students who have been separated from the course or the University for two semesters, or for those whose degree has already been conferred.

Audit Policy

Students can enroll in a course for an audit grade ("AU") with the instructor's prior consent. This request must be made during course registration and before the end of add/drop. It requires the instructor's signed approval. Both matriculated and non-matriculated students are eligible for audit enrollment. An audit carries zero credit. Once enrolled for an audit grade, the decision is irreversible; the grade becomes permanent on the student's academic record. Should a student wish to receive a graded credit for the course later, they must re-enroll and pay for the graded credit.

While auditing a course, students are expected to attend and participate in classes regularly but are not expected to submit coursework for evaluation or take examinations. Audited courses do not contribute towards enrollment status (e.g., part-time, full-time) and are ineligible for financial aid purposes or veterans’ benefits.

Pass/Fail Policy

Undergraduate students can opt for a pass/fail grading basis for a course by informing the Registrar using a provided form within the first 15 class days of the semester. Once chosen, this grading option is permanent. Most elective courses can be taken pass/fail, but it's important to note that English composition, core, and major requirement courses cannot be taken pass/fail.

A passing grade corresponds to an earned grade of A through C-. Students can register for a maximum of one pass/fail course per semester, not exceeding eight courses throughout their degree program. Students in health science programs should review departmental requirements for any pass/fail policy exceptions.

Incomplete Policy

The instructor may assign an incomplete (I) grade to a student who is performing satisfactorily in a course but cannot finish the work on time due to circumstances beyond their control. The (I) grade must be resolved within a timeframe set by the instructor, not exceeding six weeks after the end of the semester or 30 days for sessions lasting eight weeks or less. Until resolved, the (I) grade postpones the calculation of credits and grade points for the course. If the work is not completed within the specified timeframe, an administrative *F grade is assigned for the course.

Certain programs may have more stringent policies on incomplete grades, so students should refer to their program guidelines for any exceptions. Upon resolution of the (I) grade, the student's academic standing will be updated based on standard criteria. If a course is completed after the term in which it was offered due to an (I) grade, the degree awarded date (if applicable) will be recorded in the current term when all requirements are fulfilled. This is consistent with reporting graduation status to external entities. Students with incomplete grades are ineligible for the Dean's List.

Repeat TO REPLACE Course Policy

A student may repeat a course to improve their grade. However, only the second or last course taken will receive credit on the student's transcript, and only the second or last grade received will be calculated into the cumulative GPA. Transfer courses cannot be taken to replace a grade.

Add/Drop Period

A student may add or drop a course during the time frames published on the UNE Academic Calendar. Courses dropped during the add/drop period will not appear on a student’s official transcript.

Course Withdrawal Policy

Course Withdrawal Period

A student may withdraw from a course after the add/drop period has ended through the designated withdrawal deadline, which is approximately at the 60% point of the course's length. The withdrawal period for each semester and session is published on the UNE Academic Calendar.

Grade for the Course Withdrawal

A course withdrawal during the withdrawal period results in a grade of “W,” which will appear on a student’s official transcript. The grade of “W” is awarded only if a student has submitted a completed Course Withdrawal Form to the Registrar’s Office by the deadline. A “W” grade does not impact the term or cumulative GPA.

Consultation Before a Course Withdrawal

Before deciding to withdraw from a course, students must consult their advisor and are encouraged to discuss the situation with the instructor or program/academic director.

International students must obtain the approval of the Office of Global Education, as withdrawals may affect visa status.

Students are strongly urged to consult with Student Financial Services, as course withdrawals may affect financial aid or Veterans benefits.

Course Withdrawal Process

Students who wish to withdraw from a course must submit a Course Withdrawal Form, signed by their advisor or program/academic director, and Office of Global Education (if applicable), to the Registrar’s Office before the Course Withdrawal deadline.

Ceasing to attend classes or notifying the instructor does not constitute an official withdrawal.

Late Withdrawal

Requests to withdraw from a course after the withdrawal period will only be considered in extreme circumstances. To request a late withdrawal, a student must consult with their advisor or program/academic director and submit a completed Academic Petition stating the extenuating circumstances and a letter of support from an advisor, faculty member, or program/academic director to the college’s dean’s office offering the course for consideration.

If approved, a “W*” grade will appear on the transcript, not impacting the GPA calculations.

Late withdrawal petitions must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the last day of the class.

Note: All deadlines, procedures, and policies related to course withdrawal are subject to the guidelines specified on the UNE Academic Calendar.

Semester and Term Grades

Semester and term grade reports are issued after examinations have been held at the close of each semester or term and are viewable on U-Online. Semester and term grades reported by faculty members to the Registrar's office are final. Notices of deficiency, if reported, will be viewable at mid-semester on U-Online.

Academic Standing Policy

The University Registrar’s Office determines academic standing at the conclusion of the fall and spring semesters and at the conclusion of the summer session. The possible outcomes from this determination are described below.

Good Academic Standing

Good Academic Standing requires students to earn and maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) based on their total number of earned credits. Good Academic Standing is defined in the following table:

Earned Credits*Minimum Cumulative GPA**
1 – 29.991.80
30 +2.00

*Transfer credits are included in the number of earned credits; however, transfer credit grades are not used in calculating the GPA.

**Students must achieve a minimum of 2.00 cumulative GPA to be eligible for degree conferral.

Additional note: Individual programs may stipulate additional grade or other academic progress requirements to remain in that specific program. Failure to meet those additional requirements may result in a student's dismissal from that program but not from the University.

Good Standing is a status notated on a student’s academic transcript.

The inability to maintain Good Academic Standing has a variety of consequences, ranging from possible prohibition from participation in extra-curricular activities to dismissal from the University. It may also negatively impact financial aid eligibility. Contact Student Financial Services for financial aid eligibility requirements which may be defined differently than the academic definition of Good Academic Standing.

Academic Probation

A student who does not meet the minimum cumulative GPA benchmark that aligns with the number of earned credits (above) is placed on Academic Probation.

A student placed on Academic Probation will receive formal notification at the end of the term. A Probationary student is required to engage in academic support activities during their next enrolled term (fall or spring semester or summer session). These activities will be detailed in the formal notification of probation. A student on Academic Probation is not eligible to participate in certain extracurricular activities, including intercollegiate athletics, and may not serve as an officer or director for any student club or organization. At the conclusion of the next enrolled fall or spring semester or at the conclusion of the summer session, a student on Academic Probation is required to meet or exceed the cumulative GPA benchmark and return to Good Academic Standing.

Academic Probation is not appealable. Academic Probation is a status notated on a student’s academic transcript.

Academic Separation

A student on Academic Probation who does not meet the minimum cumulative GPA benchmark that aligns with the number of earned credits (above) in their next enrolled term (fall or spring semester or summer session) is subject to Academic Separation.

Academic Separation requires the student to discontinue study at UNE for at least one academic semester (fall or spring). During the period of separation, the student must engage in activities that support a renewed ability to be successful at the University. Specific requirements regarding Academic Separation and conditions for readmission consideration will be outlined in each student’s Separation Letter.

After the separation period, the student must reapply to the University through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students readmitted from Academic Separation are assigned to Academic Probation and may have additional conditions associated with their return. Students returning from Academic Separation must demonstrate progress toward achieving a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA in the next enrolled fall or spring semester or summer session. Failure to demonstrate ongoing progress may result in Academic Dismissal.

Academic Separation is appealable. Academic Separation is a status notated on a student’s academic transcript.

Academic Dismissal

A student who has been readmitted from Academic Separation is subject to Academic Dismissal for the following:

  1. Failure to meet the minimum Good Academic Standing cumulative GPA requirements in a subsequent term (fall or spring semester or summer session).
  2. Assignment of a second Academic Separation after a prior Academic Separation and subsequent readmission.

Students are academically dismissed from the University for a period of at least three academic years. After three years, students who have demonstrated academic achievement through enrollment at a regionally accredited institution may reapply for admission to UNE. Reapplication does not guarantee readmission to the University or the program from which the student was academically dismissed. Readmitted students must adhere to the curriculum of study outlined in the catalog at the time of readmission.

Academic Dismissal is appealable. Academic Dismissal is a status notated on a student’s academic transcript.

Academic Warning

As an additional action to support student progression and success, the University will review student achievement after the fall and spring semesters and the conclusion of the summer session to identify academic performance indicative of possible future risk. Students assigned to Academic Warning remain in Good Academic Standing, but their semester performance reveals a jeopardizing GPA and/or credit accumulation. At the end of the fall and spring semester and at the conclusion of the summer session, students and their academic advisor will be notified of the determination of Academic Warning. Students and their academic advisors will be notified of the determination of Academic Warning at the end of the fall and spring semesters and at the conclusion of the summer session.

A student is placed on Academic Warning if:

  1. they have 1-29.99 earned credits and a cumulative GPA between 1.80 and 1.99, or;
  2. they have any number of earned credits and a cumulative GPA that meets the required benchmark (above) but a semester GPA below 2.00.

A student on Academic Warning may participate in extracurricular activities, including intercollegiate athletics, and may serve as an officer or director for a student club or organization. A student on Academic Warning may be required to engage in academic support activities and should work closely with their academic advisor to ensure future success.

Academic Warning is not appealable. Academic Warning is not a status notated on a student’s transcript.

Appeal Procedures Following Academic Separation or Dismissal

Students who are academically separated or dismissed from the University, because they do not maintain good academic standing, have the right to appeal the decision to the Academic Standing Committee. The Academic Standing Committee comprises representation from each undergraduate college, the University Registrar’s Office, Student Financial Services, Student Affairs, and the Office of the Provost.

Requests for appeal must be made in writing to the student’s dean’s office within the time frame noted in the Academic Separation or Academic Dismissal letter. The letter of appeal requires the student to explicate their extenuating circumstances and the action-oriented plans for improving their academic standing while on continued academic probation.

Failure to appeal within the stated time frame will disallow such appeal under all but the most extraordinary circumstances. If an appeal is granted, the student returns to the University on Academic Probation. If a student’s appeal is denied, at least one full semester (fall or spring) of separation or three academic years of dismissal must elapse before applying for readmission. The right to appeal is restricted to two Academic Separations or one Academic Dismissal. A second separation results in dismissal from the University. Committee decisions regarding Academic Separation and Dismissal appeals are considered final.

Policy as of Summer 2024 (202501)

Dean’s List

The Dean's List is a recognition given to full-time students who are enrolled in a degree program and have achieved a semester grade point average of 3.30 or higher, while completing a minimum of 12 credit hours. This recognition is not given to students who have received a grade of D, F, or I. In order to qualify, a student must have completed at least three courses, excluding pass/fail options, unless the individual course is offered for 8-15 credits. The Alpha Chi National College Honor Society is also affiliated with this recognition.

Alpha Chi National College Honor Society

Alpha Chi is a national college honor scholarship society founded in 1922. Membership is limited to third—and fourth-year students enrolled in institutions with Alpha Chi chapters. A student must be in the top 10 percent of the third or fourth year to be eligible for active membership.

Coursework at Another Institution

Matriculated students who wish to transfer college-level coursework taken at other institutions must obtain permission to do so prior to enrolling at another institution. The Application for Transfer Coursework form is under student forms on the University Registrar’s webpage or through the University Registrar’s Office.

Eligible credit must be earned from a regionally accredited college or university recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). International universities must be recognized according to their country’s regulations. International academic transcripts must be credentialed by World Education Services (WES). Undergraduate international applicants may also use The Center for Educational Documentation.

  1. The posting of transfer credit for approved courses will be completed by the Admissions Office or the University Registrar’s Office upon receiving an official transcript. An official transcript corresponds with the credit granting institution’s definition of “official” and is received directly from that institution by the University of New England’s Admissions or University Registrar’s Offices. When a course description is not sufficient, a syllabus may be requested. The threshold of majority match in course outcomes will be used to determine course equivalence (1:1); otherwise, an elective will be assigned. A transfer course that is not a 1:1 equivalent is assigned elective credit at the appropriate level; i.e., a 100 level will be noted as a 100 level, a 200 level will be noted as a 200 level, etc.
  2. Transfer credit will be granted for courses completed with a C- or higher grade. Each course grade earned is held to the University’s grade rules for the degree and program requirements. Some programs at the University of New England impose higher grade cutoffs and time restrictions on the age of the coursework that can be transferred. This information can be found on the individual catalog page related to the program.
  3. All courses will be evaluated for potential transfer, with only a maximum of 63 credits eligible for transfer. Not all credits transferred will necessarily apply toward completing core or degree requirements. A transfer course is identified with the grade of “TR.” Grade quality points are not awarded or calculated into a University of New England cumulative grade point average.
  4. All credit hours earned will be assigned for transfer. When a transfer course has fewer credits than an equivalent UNE course, the course may transfer (as equivalent) if the UNE course's outcomes have been met, but only the credit hours earned will be applied.
  5. Grades earned at other institutions as course repeats do not replace those earned at the University of New England.
  6. A transfer student must meet residency requirements to be eligible for a degree. When a student’s transfer credit hour exceeds transfer limitations, additional course requirements will be arranged between the Advisor or the Department Chair and the student to ensure that the student meets the residency requirement.
  7. Quarter credit hours or units will be converted to semester credits. A quarter credit is divided by 1.5.

Approved Study Abroad

Matriculated students who wish to receive credit for a third-party Study Abroad Program must obtain permission. The form is available at the study abroad website. The student should work closely with their advisor and the Global Education Office regarding this process. Approved Request for Study Abroad Coursework forms are required before departure.

Study Abroad Transfer Credit

UNE works only with fully accredited study abroad programs. All courses offered abroad through approved programs are eligible for transfer credit.

With proper planning, studying abroad should not interfere with your time to graduation. It is important to work closely with your academic advisor and a Global Education Office Study to determine which courses to take abroad, how they will transfer to UNE, and how they will fit with your degree progress toward graduation. Be aware that:

  • Grades earned abroad are listed on the UNE transcript as “TR” and are not computed in the GPA.
  • A C- or better grade is required for undergraduate credits to transfer.
  • UNE Program and Departmental requirements for specific courses may also apply

Transfer Course Categories

While preparing to study abroad, students will complete a Request for Study Abroad Coursework form to determine transfer credit equivalencies.

  • Exact Equivalency is designated only when it is apparent from the course description that the content of the study abroad course is equivalent to a course offered at UNE. For example, “POS 201 Environmental Politics” at the University of New Brunswick in Canada transfers to “PSC 204 Intro to Politics & the Environment.”
  • Same-subject Electives are study abroad courses for which UNE has a comparable subject area but not an exact course equivalent. For example, “POS 201 Introduction to Policy” at the University of New Brunswick in Canada transfers as “POS 299 Political Science Elective,” indicating that the subject area is Political Science, it is a 200-level course at UNE, and the “99” indicates that it is an elective.
  • General Elective are study abroad courses for which UNE does not offer classes in the specific subject area. General Elective: “are study abroad courses for which UNE does not offer courses in the specific subject area are listed as “ELE 299 General Elective.”

Petition to Graduate and Receipt of Diploma

In the last year of enrollment, students who anticipate completion of all degree requirements must submit an online petition to graduate. The Petition to Graduate form is available via the "Apply to Graduate" link in U-Online. The completed form sets into motion all final processing towards verification of the degree completion, correct spelling of name on the diploma, correct mailing address, and indication of plans to participate in the commencement ceremony.

If a mailing address should change after submission of the form, the student is responsible for notifying the Registrar's office of a new address. The office's goal is to verify/post degree completions and mail out diplomas within six to eight weeks of a student's completion of studies.

Commencement is held at the end of each spring semester (usually May), and students who complete all degree requirements per academic policy are considered to be in the "Class of...[that particular year]." Student names must be approved by the Board of Trustees, on the recommendation of the faculty, before a degree and diploma from the University of New England can be authorized.

Under some circumstances, verification of degree completion may be possible for students who complete all of their degree requirements before the end of the semester. Requests for degree completion letters should be made to the Office of the University Registrar.

Guidelines for submission of the petition to graduate form are as follows:

If graduation is anticipated by the end ofSubmit the petition to graduate by
Summer SemesterJune 30
Fall SemesterSeptember 30
Spring SemesterJanuary 30

The degree awarded date will correspond to the term when the last course requirement was completed and graded. The exception is where one or more courses are completed late (after the end of the term in which the course was provided). In the case of late completion of course requirements (e.g., due to an "Incomplete" grade), the degree will be awarded in the current term (in progress) when the final course requirements are completed. This practice is consistent with graduation reporting to external sources. Further information regarding graduation procedures can be obtained through the Office of the University Registrar or by launching the link: http://www.une.edu/registrar/graduation.

Posthumous Degree Policy

A posthumous degree will be awarded if the student is enrolled in coursework to complete degree requirements at the time of death.

A posthumous degree may be awarded if, at the time of death, the undergraduate student has completed 75% or more of the degree requirements (90 credit hours for baccalaureate students) and the appropriate Dean recommends it to the University Registrar. After reviewing the guidelines, the University Registrar will forward the recommendation to the Provost.

The Provost will make the decision to award a Posthumous Degree after consultation with the Dean of the College and the Registrar. Arrangements for diploma or certificate awards will be determined by the Dean of the College and Provost in consultation with the family.

The transcript, commencement program, and diploma will note that the degree is presented posthumously.

Latin Honors at Graduation

Students receive citations of achievement at commencement in one of three categories. Honors are based on all academic coursework completed at UNE.

Honors DistinctionGPA
Cum Laude3.30 – 3.59
Magna cum Laude3.60 – 3.79
Summa cum Laude3.80 and above

To wear honor cords at the commencement ceremony, grades from the semester immediately preceding the ceremony (Spring) will not be factored into honor calculations. Since end-of-term processing might not be finalized until after commencement, honor statuses could potentially change. The ultimate honors status, as displayed on the diploma and subsequent transcripts, will be determined by the student's cumulative GPA at the conclusion of the semester in which the degree is conferred.

Leave of Absence Policy

A matriculated student may request a leave of absence for up to one academic year, equivalent to two consecutive semesters. This leave must receive approval from the academic dean, program/school director, or their representative. To apply for a leave of absence, students must complete the Request for Leave of Absence form, available from the respective program/school director, Student Affairs, University Registrar's Office, or online.

While on an approved leave of absence, students are classified as "active/not enrolled" and cannot enroll in courses for credit at another institution*. If a student returns as planned, there's no need for readmission procedures. However, failure to return as scheduled will result in the student being administratively withdrawn and subject to readmission procedures.

Students planning to return from a leave of absence should contact the University Registrar's Office well before the returning semester to update their status, enabling access to course registration. Details about tuition credit during a leave of absence can be found in the Financial Information sections of this catalog. Students receiving financial aid should consult with a financial aid representative before finalizing their leave of absence.

Please note: Students must inform the appropriate academic dean's office, program/school director (for graduate students), University Registrar, or their representative (for undergraduate students) if there are any changes to their plans.

*Students enrolled in university-sponsored dual enrollment programs are exempt from this enrollment restriction.


To return to the University after taking a Leave of Absence, students must send a written request from their official UNE email indicating their desire to be reinstated for a specific term. In cases where the leave duration surpasses the permitted time, students may need to reach out to Admissions to complete a re-admission application. If such an application is necessary, it may result in a change to the student's catalog year and potentially alter their degree requirements.

University Withdrawal Policy

Matriculated students intending to withdraw from the University must complete the University Withdrawal and LOA Request form available online or at the University Registrar’s Office. The form requires signatures from designated academic and administrative personnel.

Students are responsible for:

  • Understanding the University's policies on tuition and fee refunds, as detailed in the respective catalog.
  • Returning their university identification (ID) card to the Office of Student Affairs.
  • Returning any University keys to the appropriate departments.

The University may withhold refunds and transcripts until these procedures are finalized. Should a withdrawn student wish to re-enroll at the University of New England, they must submit a new application through the Office of Admissions.

Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog

This catalog outlines the academic programs, degree criteria, policies, and events of the University of New England for the 2024–2025 academic year and serves as the official guide for academic and program requirements for students enrolling at the University during the Summer of 2024, Fall 2024, and Spring 2025 semesters.

The information provided is accurate as of its publication date on April 26, 2024.
The University of New England reserves the right to modify its programs, calendar, or academic schedule as deemed necessary or beneficial. This includes alterations to course content, class rescheduling, cancellations, or any other academic adjustments. Changes will be communicated as promptly as possible.

While students may receive guidance from academic advisors or program directors, they remain responsible for fulfilling the requirements outlined in the catalog relevant to their enrollment year and for staying informed about any updates to policies, provisions, or requirements.