Student Records and Administrative Policy

Student Academic Records

Student academic records are kept in Registrar's office on both the Biddeford campus and the Portland campus up to 5 years after separation from the University.

Under the terms of the Buckley/Pell amendment to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), students have the right to review and inspect all official records, files, and data, including all material that is incorporated into each student's cumulative record folder. However, Department of Health, Education, and Welfare has said that clarifying amendments provide that letters of recommendation submitted on the basis of a pledge of confidentiality prior to January 1, 1975 need not be shown to students, and that a student may be allowed but not required to waive his/her right of access to letters of recommendation received after that date. The amendments also provide that a financial statement submitted by a parent need not be shown to the student. Release of records is allowed only upon written student approval, with noted exceptions listed below.

University students wishing to review their records may do so by providing a written request to Registrar's office at least 48 hours in advance of the desired appointment.

Student Conduct Records

Student Conduct Records and related files are maintained by the Dean of Students in the Student Affairs offices on each campus. Student conduct records/files are maintained under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

All student conduct and related files are maintained by the Office of the Dean of Students for a period of no less than four years after separation from the University. Records may be destroyed at that time. Disciplinary records may be retained for longer periods of time or permanently if specified in the terms of disciplinary sanctions.    

Student Access and Annual Notification

FERPA (see above) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. The student should submit a written request that identifies the records which they wish to inspect to Registrar's office. The office will notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students should write to the University Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record they want amended, and explain how it is inaccurate or misleading. If it is determined not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of the right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding hearing procedures will accompany this notification.    
  3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her task; or the Veterans Administration for students registered for various GI Bill programs. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.    
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failure(s) by The University of New England to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance OfficeUS Department of Education600 Independence Avenue, SWWashington, DC 20202-4605
  5. FERPA rights cease upon death. However, it is the policy of University of New England, that no records of deceased students be released to third parties after the date of death, unless specifically authorized by the executor of the deceased's estate or by the next of kin.


Directory Information and Disclosure

The University normally will not supply non-related organizations with personally identifiable student information, including “directory information.”  Two exceptions to this policy are:

The USA Patriot Act

Section 507 of the USA PATRIOT ACT amends FERPA by permitting educational agencies and institutions to disclose - without the consent or knowledge of the student or parent - personally identifiable information from the student's education records to the Attorney General of the United States or to his designee in response to an ex parte order in connection with the investigation or prosecution of terrorism crimes.  In addition, the school is not required to record such disclosures.

The Solomon Amendment

The Solomon Amendment explicitly states that military recruiters must be given equal access to that provided other recruiters.  UNE is therefore obligated to release data included in the list of "student recruiting information," upon request. 

Directory information is defined as:

  • Student's Full Name
  • Address
  • Phone Number
  • UNE Email Address
  • Date and place of birth
  • Classification and level
  • Dates of Attendance
  • Enrollment Status
  • Most Previous educational institution attended
  • Participation in sports
  • Height/Weight for members of an athletic team
  • Major
  • Degree Received
  • Picture

Active students who wish to have directory information withheld from release must do so in writing.  Request forms are available in the Office of the University Registrar and Student Affairs Offices at either campus. Requests to restrict release of directory information will remain in effect until revoked in writing by the student.

Petition to Graduate and Receipt of Diploma

In the last year of enrollment, students who anticipate completion of all degree requirements must submit an online petition to graduate. The Petition to Graduate form is available via the "Apply to Graduate" link in UOnline. The completed form sets into motion all final processing towards verification of the degree completion, correct spelling of name on the diploma, correct mailing address, and indication of plans to participate in the May commencement ceremony.

If a mailing address should change after submission of the form, the student is responsible for notifying the Registrar's office of a new address. It is the goal of registrar's office to verify/post degree completions and mail out diplomas within six-eight weeks of a student's completion of studies.

Commencement is held at the end of each spring semester (usually May) and students who will have completed successfully all degree requirements per academic policy are considered to be in the "Class of...[that particular year]." Student names must be approved, on recommendation of the faculty, by the Board of Trustees prior to being authorized a degree and diploma from the University of New England.

Under some circumstances, documentation of early graduation may be possible for students who complete all of their degree requirements prior to the date of the degree conferral.  Requests for degree completion letters should be made to the Office of the University Registrar.

UNE confers degrees three times each academic year.  There is a single Commencement Ceremony. If graduation is anticipated by the end of:   
Summer Semester                  Submit the petition to graduate by June 30th
Fall Semester                          Submit the petition to graduate by September 30th
Spring Semester                     Submit the petition to graduate by January 30th

Further information regarding graduation procedures can be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar.

For more information see:

Frequently Asked Questions About Graduation

Commencement Ceremony

Leave of Absence Policy

A leave of absence for a specified period of time, not to exceed one (1) academic year, may be granted to a matriculated student with the authorization of the academic dean, program/school director or designate and upon completion of the required Request for Leave of Absence form available from the respective program/school director, Student Affairs or Registrar's offices or online. A student on an approved leave has the status "active/not enrolled"; courses may not be taken outside of UNE during an approved leave of absence. Application for readmission is not necessary if the student returns as planned; however, the student who does not return at the specified time will be administratively withdrawn and will be subject to readmission procedures.  The student on leave should notify the Registrar's office well in advance of return so that access to course selection is enabled. Policy on leave of absence tuition credit is found in respective Financial Information sections of this catalog.

Students planning a leave of absence who have been awarded Financial Aid should meet with a Financial Aid representative prior to completing the paperwork.

Note: It is the responsibility of the student to contact the office of the appropriate academic dean or program/school director (graduate) or Registrar (undergraduate) to indicate change of plans.

University Withdrawal

All matriculated students who wish to withdraw from the University must complete notification documentation available from their respective program/school director, Student Affairs or Registrar's offices or online. Documentation must be signed by designated academic and administrative authorities. Student responsibilities include: (a) knowledge of the University's policies regarding refund of tuition and/or fees as stated in your respective catalog; (b) return of University identification (ID) card to the Office of Student Affairs; (c) return of any University keys in your possession to the appropriate departments. The University reserves the right to withhold the issuance of refunds and transcripts until the process has been completed. Following withdrawal, any student wishing to re-enroll at the University of New England must apply through the Office of Admissions.

Response Time and End-of-Term Processing

Due to production demands in registration services (both campuses), requests for student records services cannot be processed on demand. Students are advised to plan on a three-to-five-business day turn-around on requests.

At the end of each fall and spring semester, registration offices must process significant volumes of grades, completions, and verifications after all final grades are submitted by instructors. This end-of-term processing is not finished for a minimum of two weeks after the last final exam.

For students graduating at the end of spring semester: degree verification, posting, and diploma printing/mailing must be done after end-of-term grades are processed. Diplomas are not normally mailed for a minimum of six-eight weeks after the last final exam. Students are advised to anticipate waiting these periods of time, and should plan ahead when working with employers, graduate schools, agencies, or licensing bureaus when ordering transcripts, grade reports, or degree verifications.


No official transcript will be issued until all financial obligations have been met.
Transcripts are issued only at the written and signed request of the student. The purpose of this policy is to protect the privacy of the individual concerned and to minimize the possibility of the use of another's transcripts for fraudulent purposes. Students are advised to plan on a three-to-five-business day turn-around on requests.  Due to the volume of transcript requests received at the end of fall and spring semesters students should plan on a two-week turn-around on requests.

Official transcripts are normally issued directly to other educational institutions or prospective employers designated by the student. Official transcripts issued to the student for purposes of transport to another party can be provided in a sealed envelope but will be considered unofficial if opened by the student. Unsealed transcripts issued directly to students are considered unofficial and may be stamped "Issued to Student".


Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog

This Catalog documents the academic programs, policies, and activities of the University of New England for the 2019-2020 academic year. The information contained herein is accurate as of date of publication April 26, 2019.

The University of New England reserves the right in its sole judgment to make changes of any nature in its programs, calendar, or academic schedule whenever it is deemed necessary or desirable, including changes in course content, the rescheduling of classes with or without extending the academic term, canceling of scheduled classes or other academic activities, in any such case giving such notice thereof as is reasonably practicable under the circumstances.

While each student may work closely with an academic advisor, he or she must retain individual responsibility for meeting requirements in this catalog and for being aware of any changes in provisions or requirements.