UNE is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and has been approved by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to enroll international students and issue visa-qualifying documents to students. UNE is authorized to issue documentation for the F-1 student visa only. We comply with all regulations of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Student and Exchange Visitor Program

Who is an international applicant?

An international applicant is someone who is not a citizen of the U.S.; is not a permanent resident of the U.S. (Green Card); is not granted Deferred Action Childhood Admittance (DACA); or is not holding a U.S. visa status which allows enrollment in a U.S. university. 

International applicants must follow the same admissions process as U.S. applicants and are held to the same academic criteria required of all other applicants, with additional English Language Proficiency requirements.

General admissions criteria for the University and its academic programs can be found by accessing the undergraduate or graduate admissions catalogs or the individual program or major.

International Transcripts


  • Official transcripts from all schools attended must be submitted to the relevant admissions office as part of the application process.
  • All official scholastic records submitted in support of your application must be in English or include English translations.
  • English translations should be literal (word-for-word, not interpretive) translations.
  • For specific procedures and admission criteria for each of our academic programs, please check the program websites.


  • UNE requires all international applicants and all U.S. students with international degrees or coursework to have international transcripts evaluated for degree and grade equivalency to that of a regionally accredited institution within the U.S. Any exceptions to this policy will be noted in specific program admissions requirements.
  • UNE will accept transcript evaluations from World Education Services (WES) only. Evaluations must be for grade and degree equivalency. Please order the WES ICAP service to ensure that copies of your transcripts will be included with the evaluation report.
  • International medical school graduates only: If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. you must have the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) submit review and verification of the equivalency of your medical degree to that of one earned at a regionally accredited U.S. medical school. The ECFMG review and verification of the student’s International Medical Degree will be accepted as an official evaluation of the degree.
  • Official transcripts from Canadian Medical Schools that are approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) do not require external evaluation. There is joint accreditation between LCME and Canada adding 17 more schools to the LCME list. Any school on this LCME list can be considered as offering a valid Doctor of Medicine (MD). 

Please note: official transcripts from ALL schools that the student has attended, U.S. or International, must be submitted to the Office of Admissions as a part of the application process. Concerns regarding your ability to provide official transcripts should be directed to your admissions counselor.

Contact Admissions

Contact Undergraduate Admissions at 1 (800) 477-4863 or admissions@une.edu.

Contact Graduate Admissions at (207) 221-4225 or gradadmissions@une.edu.