The UNE Office of Citizenship and Civic Engagement (OCCE), established in 1999, develops community engagement opportunities for UNE students on campus, in the community and around the globe. The OCCE collaborates with other UNE offices and community partners throughout the year to support student civic engagement.
The OCCE maintains a database of more than 700 community organizations where our students have provided volunteer hours. These organizations serve a wide range of populations including children, the elderly, the homeless, victims of domestic violence, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Paul Loeb shares message of social responsibility with UNE community
Citizenship Class Debate Spring 2014
UNE students have also volunteered with organizations that provide low-cost health care, protect and sustain the environment, protect animals, and build homes for deserving families.
The OCCE also coordinates tutoring and mentoring programs, as well as a Future Learning Years program, which serve the local public school systems while providing UNE students valuable opportunities to engage with local communities around the University.
Why volunteer or participate in work-study through the OCCE?
- Give back to the community
- Make a difference
- Provide support to children and youth
- Improve leadership and communication skills
- Explore possible career paths
- Enrich your academic experience through service
- Add to your resume
- Have fun
Interested? Here’s what to do next…
- Decide which service opportunity is right for you.
- Fill out application material for that program.
- Make an appointment to interview with the Coordinator of that program.
- Attend a mandatory training session before mentoring or tutoring begins. The Program Coordinator will contact you with details regarding day, time and location for training.
- Attend a mandatory onsite orientation session with the Site Coordinator.
- If necessary, complete a background check as required by your tutoring or mentoring site.
The OCCE staff looks forward to meeting you.
There are no events listed at this time.