The UNE Office of Citizenship and Civic Engagement (OCCE), fosters a community where you are active and engaged as a member of your local and global communities. We strive to do this by educating you about your rights and responsibilities citizens and creating and maintaining service opportunities on-campus, in local communities, and around the globe. We collaborate with other UNE offices and community partners throughout the year to support engagement and help your become an active contributor to your global environment.
We maintain a database of more than 1,000 community organizations where our students have provided volunteer hours. These organizations serve a wide range of populations including children, the elderly, the homeless, victims of domestic violence, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. UNE students have also volunteered with organizations that provide low-cost health care, protect and sustain the environment, protect animals, and build homes for deserving families.
The OCCE also coordinates tutoring and mentoring programs, as well as a College Aspirations Program, which serve the local public school systems while providing you valuable opportunities to engage with local communities.
Why volunteer or participate in work-study through the OCCE?
- Give back to the community
- Make a difference
- Provide support to children and youth
- Improve leadership and communication skills
- Explore possible career paths
- Enrich your academic experience through service
- Add to your resume
- Have fun
Interested? Here’s what to do next…
- Decide which service opportunity is right for you.
- Fill out application material for that program.
- Make an appointment to interview with the Coordinator of that program.
- Attend a mandatory training session before mentoring or tutoring begins. The Program Coordinator will contact you with details regarding day, time and location for training.
- Attend a mandatory onsite orientation session with the Site Coordinator.
- If necessary, complete a background check as required by your tutoring or mentoring site.
The OCCE staff looks forward to meeting you.