As a student, do I need to be tested before returning to campus for the fall term?

Upon return to campus this fall semester, all undergraduate students will be required to arrive with evidence of a negative test taken within 72 hours of arrival and will be tested again shortly after arrival. To be clear, getting tested and receiving results within this 72-hour window will often require a rapid-return test. 

We encourage you to communicate with your primary care physicians and local testing sites about test availability as the fall semester approaches. Check and other online resources for a list of testing facilities near you. 

If the average turnaround time for tests in your area exceeds 72 hours, we encourage you to plan ahead and get the test sooner and then to self-quarantine until you receive your results. 

If you receive a negative result, continue to self-quarantine until you arrive on campus.

Are students from Maine or other states exempt from the test policy?

In order to support community health, there are no exemptions from the undergraduate testing requirement, regardless of your home state. All undergraduate students arriving on campus in the fall are to meet the requirement, including students from Maine and those states that are exempt from Governor Mills' quarantine order (currently NH, VT, CT, NY and NJ).

Do students need an antibody test or a viral test?

There are two general types of tests, a viral test and an antibody test. Students must have the viral test. 

Do parents or other individuals helping students with campus move-in need to be tested?

Parents and other people who are coming to campus to help students move into residential housing are required to follow Maine CDC guidelines for visitor testing. They will also be required to adhere to UNE’s public health policies, including those on social distancing, wearing a mask, and frequent hand sanitation. Each student will be allowed a maximum of one family member or friend to assist in moving into the residence hall.

May students choose to study remotely for the semester?

With the exception of fully online graduate and professional programs within the College of Graduate and Professional Studies, all UNE programs will be delivered through a hybrid learning model — courses will be campus-based and built around face-to-face classes supplemented with electronic materials via our learning management system. We will not be offering parallel, fully online courses this academic year.

The University is using this model, combined with reduced classroom density, rotation of in-class attendance between class sub-groups, and a set of community health and hygiene practices, to support community health while providing a full educational experience.  

Students who are immunocompromised may request accommodations regarding participation in on-campus classes and other activities by completing a process through the Student Access Center. Please email the Biddeford Student Access Center or the Portland Campus Student Access Center for more information.

Are students allowed to go home on the weekends?

Once students have returned to campus to begin the term, travel outside of Maine during the term is strongly discouraged. All community members are advised against travel outside of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey until further notice. If individuals do travel out of these specified states, they must follow the 14-day self-quarantine/testing guidelines outlined in the UNE Onward plan upon their return to Maine.  Read more about student travel during the term on the Health and Safety webpage.

This website uses cookies to understand how you use the website and to improve your experience. By continuing to use the website, you accept the University of New England’s use of cookies and similar technologies. To learn more about our use of cookies and how to manage your browser cookie settings, please review our Privacy Notice.