Get ready to step out of your role as a student and into the role of teacher. Our bachelor's of Elementary Education with Certification puts you in the field in creative ways, offering diverse experiences that build your confidence and get you career-ready. A flexible curriculum enables you to expand your horizons and increase your job market value by pursuing a double major, minor, or concentration. You will graduate with a Maine teacher certification in hand and the real-world experience to make a difference in your students’ lives.
Why UNE for Elementary Education with Certification
A flexible curriculum allows for double majors, minors, concentrations, and study abroad — all of which help make you a well-rounded person and a highly desirable teacher. Early and regular field experiences provide an array of opportunities that prepare you for your career while helping you get a foot in the door with potential employers.
- Flexible curricular pathways
- Strong collaboration with local schools
- Field experiences every semester
- Exceptional post-graduation employment rate
Meet Kaylee, Education ’22
With the support of her family and professors at UNE, Kaylee has made it her mission to prove that teaching can be possible for individuals of all abilities.
Find your career
Your bachelor's in Education prepares you to be at the head of the class. Equipped with knowledge, critical thinking skills, and a wide range of student teaching experiences, you will be prepared, confident, and credentialed as you step off the graduation podium and into the rewarding career of teaching.
Our graduates enjoy many benefits, including:
- Employability in a steadily-growing field
- The option to work in public or private schools
- The flexibility of working in any geographical area (coursework reciprocity in 47 states)
- The benefit of our reputation for excellence among local schools
Student Success by the Numbers
2017 and 2018 graduates employed in education or in grad school within one year of graduation
in Maine for getting a job
There are many ways you can navigate this major. You can even complete a concentration in Physical Education (PE) to become a PE teacher.
Examples of Available Courses
The following are just some examples of the exciting courses that the Elementary-Middle Education major offers:
- Supporting 21st Century Learning Through Technology
- Diversity Issues in Schools
- Inclusive Methods and Data-Based Decision Making
- Exceptionalities in the Classroom
K-6 Teaching Certification
Successful completion of the degree program meets all requirements of the Maine State K-6 Teacher Certification Program.
Imagine yourself assisting with early literacy screenings, serving as an educational technician, or creating a Family Education Night. Beginning in your first semester, you’ll be out of the pupil’s chair and in the teacher’s seat.
Field Work in the Schools
- Support a classroom teacher
- Participate in Response to Intervention (RTI)
- Assist in educational evaluations
- Help to run an after school program
- Engage family and community in educational activities
Your hands-on learning culminates with a 15-week student teaching internship.
- Refine skills acquired through coursework and fieldwork
- Become comfortable and confident in your teaching abilities
- Form close working relationships with students and school personnel
- Network and make connections that will increase your employability
In addition to opportunities to spend a semester abroad, you may choose to enroll in our education-related or another short-term travel course.
EDU 242: Comparative Education in a Global Context
Dr. Lane Clarke
This course investigates comparative education theories and philosophy to examine education in different contexts and includes spending eight days in Ireland in mid-May following final exams. You extend your knowledge of society and how this is enacted through the institution of its schools. In Ireland, you visit schools and learn about Irish culture and history by touring castles, the famous Cliffs of Moher, and the Aran Islands. Other highlights may include exploring the Ring of Kerry and spending time in Galway, Cork, Kinsale, and Killarney.