Nurture the intellect of the next generation by sharing your expertise in and passion for your favorite subject area. The Secondary Education major at UNE provides a comprehensive background in the field of education while offering you two options for delving deeper into the discipline you wish to teach: a second major or an academic concentration. You may choose to focus on life science, physical science, English, social studies, or mathematics. You’ll graduate with the certification, teaching experience, and confidence you need to step into the classroom and be a difference maker in students’ lives.
Why UNE for Secondary Education
Teaching at the secondary level requires subject-specific expertise. Our flexible curriculum allows you to double major, minor, or concentrate in your area of interest while earning your B.S. in Education. We also offer minors in Special Education and Coaching.
- Early and regular field work in classrooms for maximum experience
- Strong collaboration with local schools that often leads to job offers
- Close working relationships with faculty
- Exceptional post-graduation employment rate
As a Secondary Education major, you’ll graduate with a firm grasp on curriculum theory, assessment, educational psychology, and classroom management, as well as a teaching certificate and vast field experience in local classrooms. The rewarding career of teaching grades 6-12 awaits you.
Our graduates enjoy many benefits, including:
- Employability in a steadily-growing field
- The option to work in public or private schools
- The flexibility of working in any geographical area (coursework reciprocity in 47 states)
- The benefit of our reputation for excellence among local schools
Whether you have a specific career goal in mind or a vague idea of the field that interests you, the Office of Career Services is here to help you plan your next step.
2017 and 2018 graduates employed in education or in grad school within one year of graduation
in Maine for getting a job (Zippia, 2019)
EXAMPLES OF AVAILABLE COURSES
The following are some examples of the exciting courses that the Secondary Education major offers:
- Supporting 21st Century Learning Through Technology
- Inclusive Classroom Management
- Educational Law
- Supporting Individuals with Autism
- Inclusive Methods and Data-Based Decision Making
- Exceptionalities in the Classroom
To learn more about the program, see the Curriculum or visit the Catalog.
GRADES 6-12 TEACHING CERTIFICATION
Successful completion of the major meets all requirements of the Maine State 6-12 Teacher Certification Program.
We offer qualified students the option of participating in our Honors Program and graduating with Honors. This includes significant research, scholarship, or creative activity under the direction of a faculty member. You should consult with your major advisor or department chair for specific criteria and requirements.
Beginning your very first semester and continuing throughout your four years, you will find yourself in classroom settings, gaining critical on-the-job experience and establishing a rapport with teachers and school administrators.
FIELD WORK IN THE SCHOOLS
- Support a teacher
- Help with lesson planning
- Participate in Response to Intervention (RTI)
- Assist in educational evaluations
See the world
Before expanding the minds of others in your teaching career, expand your own horizons. Gain knowledge of other cultures, languages, and traditions by spending a semester in Spain, France, Iceland, or Morocco. You may even conduct your student teaching abroad. Or choose from several shorter travel courses, including Comparative Education in a Global Context, which will take you to Ireland for eight days in mid-May.
Interested in studying abroad? Make a plan with your advisor.