Academic Policy and Regulations

2023–2024 Educational Records and Information Maintained

The University does not maintain a single record or file consisting of all materials and information pertaining to students in any one location. Instead, various segments of the education record are kept in a variety of offices.

2023–2024 Student Academic Records

Student academic records are kept in the University Registrar’s Office on both the Biddeford campus and on the Portland campus. Records are maintained/retained under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and upon recommendations made by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).

The term “education records” does not include:

  • Records of faculty and administration that are in the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or revealed to any other individual except a temporary substitute.
  • Law enforcement records, which are kept separate from education records and which are created by a law enforcement unit for a law enforcement purpose.
  • Medical, psychiatric, or psychological records created and used only for the care or treatment of a student. These records may be made available to other appropriate professionals at the written request of the student.
  • Employment records, except for records of students employed because of their status as students.
  • Records that contain information about a student which is obtained after they are no longer a student.

2023–2024 Expunging Records

The official academic record of a student is maintained in perpetuity by the institution. The University Registrar’s Office is the custodian of this record. No other record is officially designated as a permanent record. Other records can be expunged at the discretion of specific department heads wherein a record resides. Access rights shall be honored prior to the destruction of records where the student has requested such access. Departments and offices which maintain education records may have specific policies regarding access to and retention of such records which are consistent with this policy and FERPA.

2023–2024 Student Conduct Records

Student conduct records and related files are maintained by the Dean of Students in the Student Affairs Offices on each campus. Student conduct records/files are maintained under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). All student conduct and related files are maintained by the Office of the Dean of Students for a period of no less than four years after separation from the University. Records may be destroyed at that time. Disciplinary records may be retained for longer periods of time or permanently if specified in the terms of disciplinary sanctions.

2023–2024 Student Rights

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of a student’s education records. Under FERPA, students who are presently enrolled at the University of New England (but not applicants seeking admission to the University), former students, and alumni have certain rights with respect to their education records.

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education record.

  • A written request by a student to the University Registrar identifying the records they wish to inspect.
  • The University Registrar is obligated to inform the student when the requested record will be made available. The office has up to 45 days to respond. In most instances, the response will be made promptly.
  • Students are obligated to properly identify themselves (valid government-issued photo identification or student identification card) before being shown their record.
  • Students are obligated not to interfere with the normal operation of the office in which the record is being maintained.
  • Students are obligated to examine the record during regular hours maintained by the particular office.
  • Prior to giving a student their record for examination, all confidential data received prior to January 1, 1975, any information waived by the student, any information pertaining to other students, and any financial records of parents will be removed.
  • The examination will be supervised.
  • The Act does not require the institution to provide copies of records.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes to be inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student’s rights of privacy.

  • For the purpose of this policy, a student may not challenge the judgement of a grade which has been assigned to their performance in a course but may challenge the accuracy of the recording of a grade.
  • The student should discuss their objection (submitted in writing) with the designated person in the office where their records are maintained and try to resolve the problem through informal discussion.
  • If no agreement is reached through informal discussion, the student should submit a formal letter to the University Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record they want amended, and explain how it is inaccurate or misleading. If it is determined not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University Registrar will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of the right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment.
  • If not satisfied, the student should file a written request for a formal hearing to the University Registrar.
  • Upon receipt of a written request for a formal hearing, the University Registrar will appoint a panel of three members to hear the objection and advise. The University Registrar will appoint one of the panelists to serve as chairperson. Once appointed, the panel will hold a hearing within two calendar weeks. The panel must provide an opportunity for a presentation of evidence relative to the objection stated and must render a decision in writing to the University Registrar within one week following the conclusion of the hearing. The University Registrar must inform the student in writing within ten working days of any amendment made, or of the decision not to amend the record. If the decision is not to amend, the student has the right to place a statement in the record commenting on the contested information.

3. The right to provide written consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

The University of New England will disclose information from a student’s education records only with the written consent of the student, except for disclosures to the following:

  • To school officials with legitimate education interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, National Student Clearinghouse, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her task. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfil his or her professional responsibility.
  • To authorized federal or state officials in connection with an audit or evaluation of federal or state supported educational programs.
  • To state or local officials pursuant to the state statute concerning the juvenile justice system.
  • Records released in connection with the student’s application for, or receipt of, financial aid.
  • Organizations conducting studies on behalf of educational agencies in connection with predictive tests, student financial aid programs, and the improvement of instruction provided that the identify of students is not revealed to anyone other than representatives of such organizations. Such information will be destroyed when no longer needed for the purpose of which it is conducted.
  • Recognized accrediting organizations in order to carry out their accrediting functions.
  • Records released on the basis of judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena and on condition that every effort is made to notify the student of the subpoena or order, except where a court or other issuing agency has ordered that there be no notification.
  • In an emergency, appropriate persons as determined by the custodian of the records, if the knowledge of information from the particular record is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other persons.
  • Disclosure to another educational institution where the student seeks or intends to enroll.
  • Disclosure of directory information.
  • Disclosure to the student.
  • Disclosure of the final results of a disciplinary hearing to the victim of an alleged crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense.
  • Disclosure of the final results of a disciplinary hearing involving an alleged crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense where a violation was committed.
  • Disclosure in a legal action between the institution and the student.
  • Disclosure to parents of a student under 21 regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State or local law, or any rule or policy of the University, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the University determines the student committed a disciplinary violation.

Records released to any individual or group shall be transmitted on condition that the individual or group is informed that they may not permit any other party to have access to such information without the written consent of the student. The recipient shall also be notified in writing that if compliance with this requirement is not acceptable, all records shall be returned, unused, to the institution. The prohibition on the re-release of records does not apply in the case of disclosures of directory information, disclosures pursuant to a subpoena, court order or litigation; disclosures to the student; or disclosures of the final results of a disciplinary hearing involving an alleged crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense where a violation was committed.

Each office that maintains education records shall maintain a record for each student with that student’s education record. The record shall list all individuals, agencies or organizations which have requested or obtained access to each disclosure of the student’s education record. Disclosures to school officials and disclosures made in response to certain subpoenas or orders described above shall not be recorded.

4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of New England to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

U. S. Department of Education, Student Privacy Policy Office, 400 Maryland Avenue, S.W. Washington, DC, 20202-4605

2023–2024 Directory Information and Disclosure

The University of New England has designated certain information contained in the education records of its students as directory information for purposes of FERPA. Directory information may be publicly shared by the University*, unless the student specifically requests that directory information not be released. The University of New England has designed the following as directory information:

  • Student Name
  • Address
  • Appropriate personal athletic statistical data
  • Class Level (PR, GR, UG - Senior, Junior, Sophomore, Freshmen)
  • Date of Birth
  • Dates of Attendance (Fall, Spring, Summer)
  • Degrees and Awards received (including dates)
  • Enrollment Status (full/part-time)
  • Most recent previous educational institution attended
  • Participation in sports and activities
  • Phone
  • Program of Study
  • UNE assigned email address
  • Photo

*UNE normally will not supply non-related organizations with personally identifiable student information, including directory information.

If a student requests that directory information not be released, no information will be released to any requestor, including insurance companies and prospective employers, without the express written consent of the student. Further, the student’s name will not be included in the published Dean’s List, student directory, commencement brochure, or any other institutional publication or press release. Requests to Restrict Disclosure of Directory Information are located online or in the University Registrar’s Office.

Requests to Restrict Disclosure of Directory Information will remain in effect until revoked in writing by the student. ;Forms to Reverse the Request to Restrict the Disclosure of Directory Information are located online or in the University Registrar’s Office.

Information beyond directory information can be released by the appropriate education records custodian only on the basis of a written, dated request by the student or by the student’s completion of a Student Consent to Release Information form. These forms are located online or in the University Registrar’s Office. Student consent will remain in effect until revoked in writing by the student. Forms to Revoke Student Consent to Release Information are located online or in the University Registrar’s Office.

The Solomon Amendment

Institutions of higher education receiving Federal grants and contracts are subject to the “Solomon Amendment.” (10 U.S.C. 1983 § 549). It allows federal funding to be cut if military recruiters are prohibited from recruiting on campus or are prohibited from accessing student directory information for recruiting purposes.

Covered student directory information (“student recruiting information”) is defined as name, address, telephone number, age or date of birth, place of birth, academic major, level of education (e.g. freshman, sophomore, freshmen), degree awarded, and educational institution in which the student was most recently enrolled. Where there is a conflict between the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), the Solomon Amendment would supersede FERPA. A student who has requested non-disclosure of directory information to any party under FERPA remains protected.

Under the Solomon Amendment, information will be released for military recruitment purposes only. The military recruiters may request student recruitment information once each academic term or semester for each of the eligible units within the five branches of the service:

  1. Army, Army Reserve, Army National Guard
  2. Navy, Navy Reserve
  3. Marine Corps, Marine Corps Reserve
  4. Air Force, Air Force Reserve, Air Force National Guard
  5. Coast Guard, Coast Guard Reserve

The request must be submitted in writing and on letterhead which clearly identifies the unit of service requesting the student recruitment information.

USA Patriot Act

Section 507 of the USA Patriot Act amends FERPA in a significant way to make it easier for Federal Officers and employees to secure, and therefore for institutions to release, education records without student consent. Under the amendments, the Attorney General, or designee, may obtain an ex parte order requiring an institution to turn over education records relevant in a terrorism investigation without the consent of or notice to the student or parent. The amendment provides that an institution is not required to keep a record the disclosure of information.

Revised May 2, 2023.

2023–2024 Graduation Requirements for Undergraduates

The academic requirements outlined in the catalog at the time of a student's matriculation into a program of study are generally normative for graduation.

If a student withdraws or is dismissed from the University and subsequently reenters, he/she must observe the catalog requirements in effect at reentry.

Although academic advisors are available to assist students in fulfilling major and graduation requirements, the ultimate responsibility for these matters rests with the student. All undergraduate students entering the University fall semester 1995, or after, must fulfill the following general requirements:

A minimum of 120 credits for a baccalaureate-level program. For specific credits see program requirements listed under each degree/major. The minimum required credits are normally arrived at by a defined combination of:

  1. Satisfactory completion of the course standards and specific requirements in the student's major program. See specific degree/major requirements in this catalog.
    1. ​University core requirements - to explore important college themes, develop crucial skills, and prepare for lifelong learning.
    2. Program, or professional requirements - to complete curricula established by the academic department responsible for the major area of study.
    3. General elective credit — to encourage additional study in areas of interest and to accumulate credits required for a degree.
  2. Fourth (senior) year in residence.
  3. Submission, by the student, of an online Application for Graduation no later than January 30 prior to intended commencement in May. Application for August graduation (no ceremony) is due by June 30 and December graduation (no ceremony) is due September 30.
  4. Satisfaction of all Business Office obligations.
  5. Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. Higher grade point requirements may apply in certain programs. Refer to departmental and degree/major requirements.


A fourth-year student who expects to complete degree requirements by the conclusion of the following fall semester with two courses (typically 6-8 credits*) or less of outstanding degree requirements may opt to:

  1. Participate in the May commencement prior to his/her last semester (diploma to be issued after completion of studies); or
  2. Participate in the May commencement following his/her last semester.

*A student might have greater than 6-8 credits if the two courses involve clinical, practicum, or internship study. Learning Assistance Center and developmental mathematics courses do not carry degree credits for fulfillment of graduation requirements.

2023–2024 Petition to Graduate and Receipt of Diploma

In the last year of enrollment, students who anticipate completion of all degree requirements must submit an online petition to graduate. The Petition to Graduate form is available via the "Apply to Graduate" link in U-Online. The completed form sets into motion all final processing towards verification of the degree completion, correct spelling of name on the diploma, correct mailing address, and indication of plans to participate in the commencement ceremony.

If a mailing address should change after submission of the form, the student is responsible for notifying the Registrar's office of a new address. It is the goal of the office to verify/post degree completions and mail out diplomas within six to eight weeks of a student's completion of studies.

Commencement is held at the end of each spring semester (usually May) and students who successfully complete all degree requirements per academic policy are considered to be in the "Class of...[that particular year]." Student names must be approved, on recommendation of the faculty, by the Board of Trustees prior to being authorized a degree and diploma from the University of New England.

Under some circumstances, verification of degree completion may be possible for students who complete all of their degree requirements prior to the end of the semester. Requests of degree completion letters should be made to the Office of the University Registrar.

Guidelines for submission of the petition to graduate form are as follows:

If graduation is anticipated by the end of Submit the petition to graduate by
Summer Semester June 30
Fall Semester September 30
Spring Semester January 30

The degree awarded date will correspond to the term where the last course requirement was completed and graded. The exception is where one or more courses are completed late (after the end of the term in which the course was provided). In the case of late completion of course requirements (e.g due to an "Incomplete" grade), the degree will be awarded in the current term (in progress) when the final course requirements are completed. This practice is consistent with graduation reporting to external sources. Further information regarding graduation procedures can be obtained through the Office of the University Registrar or by launching the following link:

2023–2024 Posthumous Degree Policy

A posthumous degree will be awarded, if at the time of death, the student is enrolled in coursework to complete degree requirements.

A posthumous degree may be awarded, if at the time of death, the undergraduate student has completed 75% or more of degree requirements (90 credit hours for baccalaureate students), and recommendation is made by the appropriate Dean to the University Registrar. The University Registrar, after reviewing the guidelines, will forward the recommendation to the Provost.

A posthumous degree may be awarded, if at the time of death, the graduate student has completed 75% or more of the degree requirements for the graduate degree, and recommendation is made by the appropriate Dean to the University Registrar. The University Registrar, after reviewing the guidelines, will forward the recommendation to the Provost.

The decision to award a Posthumous Degree will be made by the Provost after consultation with the Dean of the College and the Registrar. Arrangements for diploma or certificate award will be determined by the Dean of the College and Provost in consultation with the family.

Notation that the degree is presented posthumously will appear on the transcript, in the commencement program, and on the diploma.

2023–2024 Citation of Achievement at Graduation

Students receive citations of achievement at commencement in one of three categories. Honors are based on all academic coursework completed at UNE.

Cum Laude 3.30 – 3.59
Magna cum Laude 3.60 – 3.79
Summa cum Laude 3.80 and above

For the purpose of wearing honor cords at the commencement ceremony, coursework taken during the semester prior to the ceremony (Spring) will not be used in the calculation of honors. Because end-of-term processing may not be completed until after the commencement ceremony semester grades may not be finalized. It is possible that the student’s honor status may change by the time degrees are awarded. The final honors status printed on the student’s diploma and any future transcripts will be based on the student cumulative GPA directly following the semester for which the degree is awarded.

2023–2024 Residency Requirements

Any course offered for credit by the University of New England is designated as residence or campus credit. This may include University-sponsored off-campus experiences including internships, distance learning, exchange programs, and consortium courses.

Bachelor’s Degree

For a baccalaureate degree, students must complete at least 30 of the last 45 credits in residence at the University of New England.

Second Bachelor’s Degree

Students who are pursuing a second bachelor’s degree must complete at least 30 semester hours in residence once the first degree is finished. If the first degree is from the University of New England, the same requirements apply as the first bachelor’s degree.

A waiver of residency requirements may be obtained by written request from the Office of the University Registrar, University of New England, 11 Hills Beach Road, Biddeford, Maine 04005. The student’s advisor and the appropriate College Dean’s Office will carefully review each request. Requestors should receive written notification of the decision within one month of submission.

For more information see:

2023–2024 Academic Load

An undergraduate student's normal academic load ranges from 12 to 18 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. Students must obtain advisor permission to enroll in 19 or 20 academic credits per semester and must obtain the academic dean's permission to enroll in greater than 20 credits. A student must register for a minimum of 12 credits per semester in order to maintain status as a full-time student. A student attempting more than 18 credits during a semester will be subject to an overload charge at the part-time per-credit tuition rate.

Semester and Semester Hour Credit

Semester: A calendar 15 weeks of instructional time or its equivalent in effort.

Federal Definition of the Credit Hour

Federal regulation defines a credit hour as an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutional established equivalence that reasonably approximates not less than

  1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester.
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practical, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

2023–2024 Classification

Student-level, or classification, is pertinent to financial aid eligibility, class year, student organizations, information systems, and other post-secondary-related institutions or nomenclature. The chart below is intended to clarify student classification:

Minimum Credits Earned Towards UNE Degree

Year Terminology Credits
First-Year Freshman 1–23
Second-Year Sophomore 24–56
Third-Year Junior 57–89
Fourth-Year Senior 90–120
Fifth-Year Fifth-Year *

*Beyond Baccalaureate Degree

2023–2024 Student Enrollment Status

The University of New England classifies student credit load status for the purposes of financial aid loan deferments. The following table applies credit hour enrollment to full time, 3/4 time, and half time status.

Program Classification Credits
Undergraduate Full Time 12.0 or more
Undergraduate 3/4 Time 9.0–11.9
Undergraduate Half Time 6.0–8.9
Undergraduate Less than Half Time 1.0–5.9

2023–2024 Registration and Enrollment Confirmation

Students matriculated in any undergraduate program must be pre-approved to register for courses, or change course registration, through their advisor. First-time students will be registered by the Registrar's office staff and will go through a new student orientation where they receive their course schedule. Returning students can preregister for courses at dates established in the University's Academic Calendar.

Course registration must be confirmed through Registrar's office. This is accomplished only after matriculated students have cleared all other offices on campus, i.e., Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Health Center, Security, or other offices through which arrangements must be made in order to become fully enrolled at the University. All students must confirm their enrollment at the beginning of each semester within certain timelines by methods identified by Registrar's office. Instructions regarding enrollment confirmation are e-mailed to each student.

Course changes are allowed during a designated add/drop period only, as specified on the current academic calendar. Detailed instructions, as well as designated timelines regarding the add/drop process, are e-mailed to each student. Tuition and/or financial aid may be adjusted, depending on the number of credit hours enrolled.

2023–2024 Reinstatement

Reinstatement to the University after a Leave of Absence will require written communication from the student's official UNE email stating they wish to be reinstated as a student for a given term. In some cases, if leave exceeds allotted leave time, the student will need to contact Admissions to complete a re-admission application. If a re-admission application is required, this will change the student's catalog year and possibly their degree requirements.

2023–2024 Class Attendance

All students are expected to attend all classes for which they have registered. Attendance policies regarding unexcused absences are established and announced by the individual instructor for his/her classes. If a student is absent to the extent that his/her work is adversely affected, the instructor will report the student's absence to the department chair/program director with comments on the status of the student in the course. Ordinarily, for each course, absences per semester should not exceed the number of times that the course meets weekly.

Whenever a student is specifically reported in writing by an instructor to the department chair/program director as being excessively absent from class, the instructor, with the approval of the department chair/program director, may drop the student from that course with an appropriate grade.

When a student misses class for any religious observances, it is an excused absence. The student should not suffer any academic penalty because of this absence. Before the absence, the student is responsible for initiating collaboration with faculty to arrange to obtain all information contained in each missed class. The student must plan, at the discretion of the faculty member, to take any missed exam either prior to or following the scheduled exam time. All assignments must be handed in on time.

2023–2024 Athletic Competition and Class Attendance

When an athlete misses class for a scheduled varsity intercollegiate competition, it is an excused absence. The student athlete should not suffer any academic penalty because of this absence. This policy does not apply to students on clinical rotations.

When such absences occur, the student athlete is responsible for initiating collaboration with faculty and making arrangements to obtain all information and/or training contained in each missed class. The athlete must make arrangements to take exams scheduled for a day of absence early or late, at the instructor's preference. All assignments must be handed in on time.

Faculty are not required to remediate student athletes as a result of these absences.

2023–2024 Examinations

Finals week is part of each 16 week semester (15 weeks of courses and 1 week of final exams). The University expects all undergraduate courses to include appropriate procedures for evaluating student performance unless the department chairperson/program director and the dean of the college have granted an exception. For many undergraduate courses, these procedures will include a final exam, a final paper or project, or some other cumulative activity appropriate to the discipline and to the course.

All final examinations must be given during the one-week period set aside by the University for this purpose, and final examinations must be given at the time specified on the Registrar's Final Examination Schedule.

No final papers, projects, or exams may be due during the last week of a course. With rare exceptions, undergraduate courses should have a final exam and/or paper/project that is due during final exams week. All courses are assigned a final examination time and room within the final examination week except the following:

  • Labs
  • Research Courses
  • Internships/Practicums/Clinical/Field Work

Information on the use of the final examination period and its duration should be provided within the course syllabus. Although the final examination schedule is not published by the Registrar's Office until approximately the fifth week of the semester, instructors should include as much information about the final exam schedule as possible in the syllabus. This includes its duration and a reminder to students not to plan travel until the exam date and time are announced.

Whether assessed by a final examination, final paper or culminating project, all undergraduate grades are due by Noon on the Monday following Final Exam Week.

2023–2024 Undergraduate Grading System

The following grading system is presently in effect: A, A- (outstanding work), B+, B, B- (excellent work), C-,C ,C-(satisfactory work), D (passing but not satisfactory work), F (failure), P (pass), I (incomplete), W (withdrew without penalty), WP (withdrew passing), WF (withdrew failing), *F (administrative F, assigned to incompletes which haven't been completed within designated time), and AU (audit). NG is assigned when instructors do not assign grades.

Grade Equivalent quality points assigned to grade
A 4.00
A- 3.75
B+ 3.50
B 3.00
B- 2.75
C+ 2.50
C 2.00
C- 1.75
D 1.00
F 0

Note: Students may not elect to take a course that satisfies a core requirement on a pass/fail basis.

2023–2024 Grade Changes

Students with questions regarding the accuracy of a grade should contact the appropriate instructor for resolution. If a change of grade is justified, the instructor will forward a Faculty Request to Change a Grade form to the Registrar's Office. Grade changes will not be processed for students who are two semesters beyond separation from either the course in which the grade was assigned or from the University, or for a student whose degree has been awarded.

2023–2024 Double Major Policy

A double major is program of study that meets the requirements of two distinct majors within a single Bachelor’s degree (Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science). The program of study consists of courses required to meet the degree requirements for each of the two majors, together with the courses needed to meet the general education requirements of the degree. The minimum number of credit hours required for the double major equals the total number of credits required for the major comprising the larger number of credit hours for the degree. For example: A BS in Applied Mathematics may require 120 credits to complete the degree. A BS in Applied Exercise Science may require 122 credits to complete the degree. A student double majoring in Applied Exercise Science and Applied Mathematics would be required to complete a minimum of 122 credit hours for the degree.

Students who complete the requirements for a double major receive a single diploma that acknowledges both majors. For example: Bachelor of Science in Applied Exercise Science with a second major in Applied Mathematics.

2023–2024 Dual Degree Policy

A dual degree program is one in which the student works toward satisfying the academic requirements for two distinct degree types (Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Social Work or Bachelor of Science in Nursing). To achieve the academic depth and breadth implied by a program of study that results in the awarding of two undergraduate degrees, a dual degree program consists of substantial additional coursework as compared to that required for a double major; namely a minimum of 30 additional semester hours beyond the credit hours required for the degree program comprised of the smaller number of credits.

Students who successfully complete a dual degree program receive two diplomas, one for each degree earned (BA, BS, BSN, BSW).

2023–2024 Audit Policy

A student may, with prior consent of the instructor, enroll in a course for an audit grade ("AU"). This must be done at the time of registration for the course and must be accompanied by signed approval of the instructor. This applies to both matriculated and non-matriculated students. Reversal or change of and audit grade is not possible (i.e., once enrolled for "AU" the grade becomes permanent on a student's academic record). The student who wishes later to be graded for such a course must re-enroll in and pay for graded credit. In auditing a course, the student is expected to attend classes regularly but is not permitted to submit course work for evaluation, take examinations, receive grades, or earn credit. Auditing a course does not count towards enrollment status (i.e., part-time, full-time, etc.) and therefore cannot be considered for financial aid purposes, veterans benefits, etc. Audit courses carry zero credit.

2023–2024 Pass/Fail Policy

Undergraduate students who wish to enroll in a course on a pass/fail basis may do so by notifying the Registrar no later than 15 class days into the given semester on a form provided for this purpose. The decision to take a course pass/fail is final. Note: Students may not elect to take a course that satisfies a core requirement on a pass/fail basis.

Passing represents earned grades of an assigned A through C-. Most elective courses are open to pass/fail enrollment except courses in major fields and English composition and courses satisfying core requirements. Students may register for not more than one course per semester on a pass/fail basis not to exceed eight courses in a degree program. Students in health science programs should consult their departmental requirements for exceptions to the pass/fail policy.

2023–2024 Incomplete Policy

An incomplete (I) grade notation may be given by the instructor to a student who is doing passing work in a course, but who, for reasons beyond his/her control, is not able to complete the work on time. The I grade notation must be changed within the time limit determined by the instructor and may not extend beyond six weeks following the end of the semester or 30 days for sessions eight weeks or less in length. Until changed, the I grade notation defers computation of credits and grade points for the course to which it is assigned. Failure to complete the work before the limitation date, or within the time imposed by the instructor, results in the assignment of an administrative *F grade for the course. Some programs have established more restrictive or differing policy regarding incomplete grades. Students should consult the program in which they are enrolled for exceptions to this policy. Once an I grade notation is removed, academic standing will be updated according to good standing or probationary standards. If one or more courses are completed late (after the end of the term in which the course was provided due to an "I" grade), then the degree awarded date (if applicable) will be posted in the current term (in progress) when the final course requirements are completed. This practice is consistent with graduation reporting to external sources. Students receiving Incompletes are not eligible for Dean's List.

2023–2024 Course Withdrawal Policy*

In the fall and spring semesters, a student may withdraw from a course without academic penalty with a grade of W at any time during the first two-thirds of the semester as specified in the current academic calendar. If withdrawal occurs after that date, the grade of WP (withdrew passing) or WF (withdrew failing) will be entered. The grade of WF is computed in the grade point average.

*A withdrawal from a course(s) at any point after the add/drop period will be reported to the National Student Clearinghouse. A withdrawal that changes a student’s enrollment status could impact repayment of loans/deferment of loans.

2023–2024 Leave of Absence Policy

A leave of absence for a specified period of time, not to exceed one academic year (two consecutive semesters) may be granted to a matriculated student with the authorization of the academic dean, program/school director or designate, and upon completion of the required Request for Leave of Absence form available from the respective program/school director, Student Affairs, University Registrar's Office, or online. A student who is on an approved leave of absence has the status "active/not enrolled" and may not enroll in courses for credit at another institution*. Application for re-admission is not necessary if the student returns as planned. However, the student who does not return at the specified time will be administratively withdrawn and will be subject to re-admission procedures. A student returning from a leave of absence should contact the University Registrar's Office well in advance of the returning semester so that status changes are made to allow the student to access courses. The policy related to the leave of absence tuition credit can be found in the respective Financial Information sections of this catalog. Students with financial aid should meet with a financial aid representative prior to completing leave of absence paperwork.

Note: It is the responsibility of the student to contact the office of the appropriate academic dean or program/school director (graduate) or University Registrar or designee (undergraduate) to indicate change of plans.

*This requirement is waived for students participating in University sponsored dual enrollment programs.

2023–2024 University Withdrawal Policy

All matriculated students who wish to withdraw from the University must complete a University Withdrawal and LOA Request form found online or in the University Registrar’s Office. Documentation must be signed by designated academic and administrative authorities. Student responsibilities include: (a) knowledge of the University's policies regarding refund of tuition and/or fees as stated in your respective catalog; (b) return of University identification (ID) card to the Office of Student Affairs; (c) return of any University keys in your possession to the appropriate departments. The University reserves the right to withhold the issuance of refunds and transcripts until the process has been completed. Following withdrawal, any student wishing to re-enroll at the University of New England must apply through the Office of Admissions.

2023–2024 Repeat Course Policy

A student may repeat a course in order to improve his/her grade. However, only the second or last course taken will receive credit on the student's transcript, and only the second or last grade received will calculate into the cumulative GPA.

2023–2024 Course Work at Another Institution

Matriculated student who wish to transfer college-level course work taken at other institutions must obtain permission to do so prior to enrolling at another institution. The Application for Transfer Course Work form is located under student forms on the University Registrar’s webpage or through the University Registrar’s Office.

Eligible credit must be earned from a regionally accredited college or university recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). International universities must be recognized according to its country’s regulations. International academic transcripts must be credentialed by World Education Services (WES). Undergraduate international applicants may also use The Center for Educational Documentation.

  1. The posting of transfer credit for approved courses will be completed by the Admissions Office or the University Registrar’s Office upon the receipt of an official transcript. An official transcript is one that corresponds with the credit granting institution’s definition of “official” and is received directly from that institution by the University of New England’s Admissions or University Registrar’s Offices. When a course description is not sufficient, a syllabus may be requested. The threshold of majority match in course outcomes will be used to determine course equivalence (1:1); otherwise an elective will be assigned. A transfer course that is not a 1:1 equivalent is assigned elective credit at the appropriate level; i.e. a 100-level will be noted as 100 level, a 200-level will be noted as 200 level, etc.
  2. Transfer credit will be granted for those courses completed with a grade C- or higher. Each course grade earned is held to the University’s grade rules for the degree and program requirements. Some programs at the University of New England impose higher grade cutoffs and/or time restrictions on the age of the coursework that can be transferred. This information can be found on the individual catalog page related to the program.
  3. All courses will be evaluated for potential transfer, with only a maximum of 63 credits eligible for transfer. Not all credits transferred will necessarily apply toward completion of core or degree requirements. A transfer course is identified with the grade of “TR”. Grade quality points are not awarded or calculated into a University of New England cumulative grade point average.
  4. All credit hours earned will be assigned for transfer. When a transfer course has fewer credits than an equivalent UNE course, the course may transfer (as equivalent) if outcomes have been met for the UNE course, but only the credit hours earned will be applied.
  5. Grades earned at other institutions as course repeats do not replace those earned at the University of New England.
  6. A transfer student must meet residency requirements to be eligible for a degree. When a student’s transfer credit hour exceeds transfer limitations, additional course requirements will be arranged between the Advisor or the Department Chair and the student to ensure that the student meets the residency requirement.
  7. Quarter credit hours or units will be converted to semester credits. A quarter credit is divided by 1.5.

Approved Study Abroad

Matriculated students who wish to receive credit for a 3rd Party Study Abroad Program must obtain permission to do so. The form is available at the study abroad website. The student should work closely with his/her advisor and the Global Education Office regarding this process. Approved Request for Study Abroad Coursework forms are required prior to departure.

Study Abroad Transfer Credit

UNE works only with fully accredited study abroad programs. All courses offered abroad through approved programs are eligible for transfer credit.

With proper planning, study abroad should not interfere with your time to graduate. It is important to work closely with your academic advisor and a the Global Education Office Study to determine which courses to take abroad, how the courses will transfer to UNE, and how they will fit with your degree progress toward graduation. Be aware that:

  • Grades earned abroad are listed on the UNE transcript as “TR” and are not computed in the GPA.
  • A grade of C- or better is required for undergraduate credits to transfer.
  • UNE Program and Departmental requirements for specific courses may also apply

Categories of Transfer Courses

While preparing to study abroad, students will complete a Request for Study Abroad Coursework form which will determine transfer credit equivalencies.

  • Exact Equivalency are designated only when it is clear from the course description that the content of the study abroad course is equivalent to a course offered at UNE. For example, “POS 201 Environmental Politics” at the University of New Brunswick in Canada transfers as “PSC 204 Intro to Politics & the Environment.”
  • Same Subject Elective are study abroad courses for which UNE has a comparable subject area, but not an exact course equivalent. For example, “POS 201 Introduction to Policy” at the University of New Brunswick in Canada transfers as “POS 299 Political Science Elective” indicating that the subject area is Political Science, it is a 200-level course at UNE, and the “99” indicates that it is an elective.
  • General Elective are study abroad courses for which UNE does not offer courses in the specific subject area. General Elective: “are study abroad courses for which UNE does not offer courses in the specific subject area are listed as “ELE 299 General Elective.”

2023–2024 Semester and Term Grade Reports

Semester and term grade reports are issued after examinations have been held at the close of each semester or term and are viewable on U-Online. Semester and term grades reported by faculty members to the Registrar's office are final. Notices of deficiency, if reported, will be viewable at mid-semester on U-Online.

2023–2024 Academic Probation and Dismissal

A student will be placed on academic probation if their grade point average (GPA) at the end of the any semester falls below 1.70 or whose cumulative grade point average is below the minimum acceptable level. A student placed on academic probation will be granted one fall, spring or summer semester to raise their cumulative GPA to the minimum acceptable level and will be required to achieve a minimum GPA of 1.70 for the semester. Failure to meet both of these criteria will result in automatic dismissal from the University for academic deficiency. Following dismissal, any student wishing to re-enroll at the University of New England must apply through the Office of Admissions. A student on academic probation is ineligible to participate in major extracurricular activities, including intercollegiate athletics, or to serve as an officer or director of any student activity. Academic probation is not subject to appeal.

Minimum Acceptable Levels

Earned Hours Minimum cGPA
0 to 30 1.70
30.01 to 45 1.70
45.01 to 60 1.80
60.01 to 75 1.80
75.01 to 90 1.90
90.01 to 105 1.90
105.01 and over 2.00

Note: A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 is required for graduation. Higher levels of the minimum acceptable semester and/or cumulative GPA may be established by individual departments or academic programs.

Policy as of Summer 2023 (202401)

2023–2024 Dean’s List

The Dean's List contains the names of full-time matriculating students in good academic standing who have attained a semester grade point average of 3.30 or better. The student must have earned at least 12 credits. A grade of D,F, or I automatically prohibits a student from receiving this citation. A student must have a minimum of three courses other than pass/fail in order to be named to the Dean's List with the exception of individual courses offered for 8–15 credits.

2023–2024 Alpha Chi National College Honor Society

Alpha Chi is a national college honor scholarship society, founded in 1922, with membership limited to third- and fourth-year students enrolled in institutions with Alpha Chi chapters. To be eligible for active membership, a student must be in the top 10 percent of the third or fourth year.

2023–2024 Declaration and Change of Major

If Undeclared, before March 15 of the second year, a student is required to make a formal declaration of major using the appropriate form available online or from the University Registrar’s Office. Students declaring majors in marine biology, medical biology, and elementary education are asked to declare by the end of the first year. This declaration must be signed by the advisor and the chair/director of the major department. The declared major must be an existing, approved academic program of study. See undergraduate catalog (majors) for existing programs of study.

Note 1: Change of major requests received mid-semester will become effective the next semester.

Note 2: Change of major requests will not be processed in the student’s final semester at the University.

Personal Major (College of Arts and Sciences Only)

In exceptional circumstances College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) students may propose a personal major as an alternate to a traditional academic major degree program. Personal major degree programs must have sponsorship of an academic department within CAS and approval of the CAS Dean’s office. To receive approval of a personal major degree program an undergraduate student must work collaboratively with college/department faculty and the CAS academic dean to design and describe a proposed comprehensive program that combines core curriculum, departmental requirements, and a course of study reflecting the student's personal scholarly interests. Approval to begin planning and eventually submit a personal major proposal must be obtained through the CAS Dean’s office. To be eligible for consideration of a personal major, students must be in their second year of study and are required to have a minimum 2.50 overall GPA. A student pursuing a Personal Major must matriculate, without exception, the equivalent of one full academic year, full time status (30 credit hour minimum) after the approval of his/her degree program. Additional policies and procedures regarding proposal protocols are available through the CAS Dean’s office.

2023–2024 Academic Minors

The University of New England offers the option for students to petition for a minor program of study. A "minor" is a structured plan of study outside the student's major. A student must have a declared major prior to declaring a minor. See undergraduate catalog (minors) for available options. The minimum amount of credits required for a minor is 18 credits. Minors do not appear on UNE diplomas.

Note: Minors will not be added in the student’s final semester at the University.

2023–2024 Student Advising

The University of New England assigns professional advisors and faculty mentors to each first- and second-year student. Third- and fourth-year students will transition to have their faculty mentor as their primary advisor. Students are required to visit an advisor at least once a semester and during important milestones. Advisors serve as the student's primary resource for academic and career guidance planning.

2023–2024 Response Time and End-of-Term Processing

Due to production demands in registration services (both campuses), requests for student records services cannot be processed on demand. Students are advised to plan on a three-to-five-business day turn-around on requests.

At the end of each fall and spring semester, Registration Services must process significant volumes of grades, completions, and verifications after all final grades are submitted by instructors. This end-of-term processing is not finished for a minimum of two weeks after the last final exam.

For students graduating at the end of spring semester degree verification, posting, and diploma printing/mailing must be done after end-of-term grades are processed. Diplomas are not normally mailed for a minimum of six-eight weeks after the last final exam. Students are advised to anticipate waiting these periods of time, and should plan ahead when working with employers, graduate schools, agencies, or licensing bureaus when ordering transcripts, grade reports, or degree verifications.

2023–2024 Transcripts

No official transcript will be issued until all financial obligations have been met. Transcripts are issued only at the written and signed request of the student.

The purpose of this policy is to protect the privacy of the individual concerned and to minimize the possibility of the use of another's transcripts for fraudulent purposes. Students are advised to plan on a three-to-five-business day turn-around on requests.

Official transcripts are normally issued directly to other educational institutions or prospective employers designated by the student. Official transcripts issued to the student for purposes of transport to another party can be provided in a sealed envelope but will be considered unofficial if opened by the student. Unsealed transcripts issued directly to students are considered unofficial and may be stamped Issued to Student.

Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Website at

Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog

This Catalog documents the academic programs, policies, and activities of the University of New England for the 2023–2024 academic year. The information contained herein is accurate as of the date of publication April 28, 2023.

The University of New England reserves the right in its sole judgment to make changes of any nature in its programs, calendar, or academic schedule whenever it is deemed necessary or desirable, including changes in course content, the rescheduling of classes with or without extending the academic term, canceling of scheduled classes or other academic activities, in any such case giving such notice thereof as is reasonably practicable under the circumstances.

While each student may work closely with an academic advisor, he or she must retain individual responsibility for meeting requirements in this catalog and for being aware of any changes in provisions or requirements.