The UNE Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) will be a global leader of organizational and faculty development that promotes excellence and innovation in evidence-based, student-centered teaching with an emphasis on inquiry, inclusion, and community.
CETL is a dynamic resource that serves as a catalyst and support for innovative, vibrant, and effective teaching and learning. The center strives to inspire and support all faculty as they gain skills to provide active, experiential, student-centered teaching and learning. We promote policies, programs, and resources that support a valued, engaged faculty and evidence-based teaching practices.
- Teaching and learning excellence is the foundation of a university community
- Learning occurs best in an environment that respects differences and values all community members
- Teaching practice is best supported in a safe and nonjudgmental environment that allows risk-taking, creativity, and relentless inquiry
- Excellent teaching embraces multiple formats that respond to evolving research on effective pedagogy and that increase student access, support improved retention, and foster degree completion
- In addition to discipline-based knowledge and professional competencies, teaching and learning should develop and refine habits of mind such as critical thinking, problem-solving, tolerance for ambiguity, and cultural, quantitative, and information literacy
- Excellence in teaching and learning facilitates productive engagement with local, regional, and global partners
- Teaching and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) respect disciplinary ways of viewing the world, values, procedures, and practices while encouraging interprofessional dialogue.
- In a strong teaching culture, university fiscal and policy decisions are made with attention to their impact on teaching and learning