Earn Your U.S. D.M.D.
Grounded in its mission to improve the health of Northern New England as well as rural and underserved areas while shaping the future of dentistry through excellence in education, discovery, and service, our college is continually evolving to provide one of the most innovative and exciting dental education programs in the country.
As a graduate of the UNE College of Dental Medicine Advanced Standing Track (AST), you would earn the same United States Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degree as conventionally enrolled D.M.D. students. This program offers dentists trained outside of the U.S. the opportunity to gain the skills and knowledge of the dental profession as practiced in the U.S. at a college that exemplifies an environment that is creative, humanistic, promotes professionalism, cultivates diversity, and welcomes you as a professional colleague.
About the Advanced Standing Track
Our 29-month program is designed for international dental school graduates who wish to practice in the United States. The program incorporates the latest in dental practice, equipment, and technology; principles in public health, health policy, and business; and the opportunity to provide care to a wide variety of patients.
Once accepted, you will receive a customized curricular plan for your first semester that is based on your individual needs and takes into account previous coursework, for which advanced standing credit may be awarded. After successfully completing your first preparatory semester (spring), you will integrate into the rising third-year (D3) cohort for the summer term, during which you will begin patient care in the Oral Health Center.
Please visit Graduate and Professional Student Financial Services for information about tuition and fees.
- 29-month program leads to U.S. D.M.D. degree
- Small class sizes with supportive faculty and professional staff
- State-of-the-art simulation clinic and patient care clinic
- Group practice model utilized to deliver comprehensive, patient-centered care in the UNE Oral Health Center
- University-wide emphasis on interprofessional education
- Extensive community-based education program across Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont
- A vibrant student experience
Why Portland, Maine
- Named “America’s Most Livable City” by Forbes, “Best Town in the East” by Outside and “Foodiest Small Town in America” by Bon Appetit
- UNE’s Portland campus is just a short drive from the waterfront
- One of the nation's most livable small cities
- Accessible public transportation
- A wealth of arts and cultural institutions
- Home to an international airport
Questions about the Advanced Standing Track can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will not be accepting phone calls or providing on-campus appointments.