Title IV Authorization for Federal Student Aid

The U.S. Department of Education requires that Title IV funds (federal financial aid) be applied to only educational charges billed by a university. If the total in federal financial aid funding exceeds allowable charges, a university is required to refund the excess unless a student gives permission otherwise.


Title IV Financial Aid

  • Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
  • Direct PLUS Loans (Parent/Graduate)

Educational (Allowable) Charges

  • Tuition
  • Room and Board
  • Mandatory fees

Non-Educational (Non-allowable) Charges

  • Health insurance
  • Parking fines
  • Late fees
  • Interest charges
  • Any other fees not mandated for courses

In order to apply Title IV funding to non-educational charges, you will need to grant permission to the University of New England. If Title IV Authorization is incomplete (or declined), funds cannot be applied to non-educational charges, and a refund will be issued, even if non-educational charges remain on the bill. This means you could simultaneously receive a refund and a bill. However, receiving a refund would not indicate your account is satisfied.

The Title IV Authorization decision needs to be made only once while you are a UNE student. If you wish to change or rescind, you can do so by emailing a written request to Student Financial Services.

You will make a decision on how to apply excess federal loans and grants to your non-educational charges by completing the Title IV Authorization requirement found on U-Online. You can follow the instructions below:

  1. Log on to U-Online.
  2. Select Student Financial Services.
  3. Select Award, then Award by Aid Year. Choose/submit the upcoming Award Year from the drop-down box.
  4. Go to Resources/Additional Information.
  5. Read the paragraph under Additional Information.
    • Answer the question, "Do you authorize UNE to apply Title IV funds to non-educational charges?"
    • Choose Authorize or Decline from the drop-down box. Submit.


Student Financial Services Office Locations

Biddeford Campus

Decary Hall First Floor, Room 107
University of New England
11 Hills Beach Road
Biddeford, ME 04005

Portland Campus

McDougall Hall First Floor, Room 111
University of New England
716 Stevens Avenue
Portland, ME 04103