The U.S. Department of Education requires that Title IV funds (i.e. federal financial aid) be applied to only educational charges billed by a university. If the total in federal financial aid funding exceeds "allowable" charges, a university is required to refund the excess unless a student gives permission otherwise.
Definitions are as follows:
Title IV Financial Aid
- Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans
- Federal Pell Grants
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
- Direct PLUS Loans (Parent/Graduate)
Educational (Allowable) Charges
- Room & Board
- Mandatory fees
Non-educational (Non-allowable) Charges
- Health insurance
- Parking fines
- Late fees
- Interest charges
- Any other fees not mandated for courses
In order to apply Title IV funding to non-educational charges, you will need to grant permission to the University of New England. If Title IV Authorization is incomplete (or declined), funds cannot be applied to non-educational charges, and a refund will be issued, even if non-educational charges remain on the bill. This means you could simultaneously receive a refund and a bill. However, receiving a refund would not indicate your account is satisfied.
The Title IV Authorization decision needs to be made only once while you are a UNE student. If you wish to change or rescind, you can do so by sending a written request to Student Financial Services.
Students will make a decision on how to apply excess federal loans and grants to your non-educational charges by completing the Title IV Authorization requirement found on U-Online. You can follow the instructions below:
1. Log on to U-Online.
2. Select Student Financial Services.
3. Select Award, then Award by Aid Year. Choose/submit the upcoming Award Year from the drop-down box.
4. Go to Resources/Additional Information (tab 3 from the left).
5. Read the paragraph under Additional Information.
Answer the question, "Do you authorize UNE to apply Title IV funds to non-educational charges?" Choose AUTHORIZE or DECLINE from the drop-down box. Submit.