VA Benefits at UNE

The University of New England (UNE) is strongly committed to supporting men and women who have served our nation through military service. UNE serves veterans, service members, and their families, who are accessing U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits, often referred to as the GI Bill®.

Students attending UNE who are eligible to receive VA Educational Benefits may qualify for one of the following Chapters of the GI Bill® of Educational Assistance:

  • CHAPTER 30 Montgomery GI Bill®
  • CHAPTER 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)
  • CHAPTER 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
  • CHAPTER 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® FRY Scholarship
  • CHAPTER 35 Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program 
  • CHAPTER 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve

Student Responsibilities

Review the application and enrollment checklist for using VA Education Benefits (PDF) at UNE.

You must complete a Certification Request Form each semester you wish to use education benefits.

You are responsible for any and all charges due to late submission of the request form and any other required documentation.

Any changes in enrollment must be communicated to the School Certifying Official (SCO) immediately. You will be responsible for any and all charges owed to the VA and/or to the University as a result of these enrollment changes.

Should the VA deny payment for any reason, it is your responsibility for making payment arrangements with Student Accounts for all outstanding charges.

If you have any questions, please email or see our FAQ (PDF).


Science Prerequisite Courses for Health Professions

If you wish to use VA Education Benefits (CH 30, 31, 33, 35, or 1606) for the Online Science Prerequisites Courses for Health Professions, please email and you will be provided with the information, documentation, and steps necessary for using your benefits.

If you wish to use Federal Tuition Assistance for the Online Science Prerequisites Courses for Health Professions, please complete the Military Tuition Assistance Registration Request Form. If you have any questions, please email If you have an approved TA voucher include it in your email.

If you have questions about the courses visit the website at or email



A group of veterans standing with the American flag

Section 1018 of Public Law 116-315

Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020, adds new requirements for educational institutions participating in the educational assistance programs of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

These new provisions became effective June 15, 2021, and will apply to Institutions of Higher Learning and Non-College Degree institutions beginning August 1, 2021. Many of the requirements are consistent with the requirements of the Principles of Excellence, currently in Executive Order 13607; however, there are requirements in addition to those embodied in the Principles of Excellence that schools must also satisfy to maintain approval for GI Bill® participation.

Schools must provide a covered individual (a student using benefits under chapter 30, 31, 32, 33, or 35 of title 38, U.S.C., or chapter 1606 of title 10, U.S.C.) with a personalized shopping sheet that contains:

UNE Costs
Estimated Costs
Costs Covered by GI Bill® Chapters
GI Bill Comparison Tool

VA approved tool for veterans to be able to review their benefits and make decisions on choosing their benefits.

VA Comparison Tool

Federal Financial Aid Offered

Information on pre-planning, eligibility, types of aid, and how to apply.

Estimated Student Loan Debt
UNE Graduation and Retention Rates by Academic Year
Post-graduate statistics on student employment
How to Transfer Credits to UNE
Licensure Requirements
Additional resources
  • The College Scorecard
    • Assists prospective students as they evaluate school selection.
  • The College Navigator
    • Provides school information to include tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates and features a cost calculator and school comparison tool.
  • The Paying for College Webpage
    • Can be used by prospective students to enter the names of up to three schools and receive detailed financial information on each one. You can also enter your financial aid offer information for schools you are considering for comparison purposes.
  • GI Bill® Comparison Tool
    • Assists VA educational benefit recipients explore higher education opportunities based on their educational goals and benefit use.

Cost information is based on current rates. Direct costs may fluctuate from year to year depending on many factors. We encourage students to review new rates as they come available to calculate the overall cost of their programs.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Website at

Two veterans stand side-by-side
A group of U N E students smile with a veteran

Yellow Ribbon

UNE is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon program.

The Yellow Ribbon program is used in conjunction with Chapter 33 Post 9/11 benefits and allows for additional funding for students who are 100% eligible for Chapter 33 Post 9/11 benefits and have met the tuition and fees cap for the academic year.

UNE will pay up to $5,000 and the VA will match UNE's payment not to exceed the total cost of tuition and fees.

In order to be eligible for Yellow Ribbon, a current Certificate of Eligibility must be submitted to the School Certifying Official.

Yellow Ribbon benefits cannot be applied until the annual tuition and fees cap has been exhausted.

Any questions regarding the Yellow Ribbon Program should be directed to the School Certifying Official.

Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon.

As of August 1, 2022, active-duty service members who qualify at the 100% level or the spouse using the transferred benefits of an active-duty service member who qualifies at the 100% level may become eligible for the Yellow Ribbon.


UNE’s VA Representative is available by appointment. Please email or call to make an appointment.

(207) 602-2342

Portland Campus
104 McDougall Hall
Portland, ME 04103

Biddeford Campus
107 Decary Hall
Biddeford, ME 04005