Do you want to serve your community by practicing in the rewarding field of oral disease prevention? At our on-campus clinic, you will learn from expert faculty while gaining hands-on experience with patients from the local area. With our emphasis on teamwork across health care professions, you will emerge from UNE’s Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene degree program with in-depth knowledge of your field and ready to practice comprehensive care that will put smiles on your patients’ faces.
If you already hold an associate degree in dental hygiene, you may join our completion program to earn a four-year bachelor's degree and enjoy the expanded professional opportunities it brings.
Why UNE for Dental Hygiene
- Interprofessional learning with other health professions students
- Low faculty-to-student ratio
- Initial two years of humanities and health professions studies on the Biddeford Campus
- Final two years of clinical study on the Portland Campus
- On-campus dental hygiene clinic that serves the community
- Collaborative practice models with student dentists
- Dental Simulation Lab in Innovation Hall
Take a tour of our Facilities
Equipped with the critical thinking skills developed as part of your liberal arts foundation, your theoretical knowledge of dental hygiene, and the practical and interpersonal expertise you acquire through clinical work with patients and other health care professionals, you will be well on your way to a rewarding career as a dental hygienist. You may work in clinical or administrative roles in corporate, nonprofit, educational, or public health settings, such as:
- Private Dental Practices
- Health Service Corps
- Clinics and Hospitals
- Nursing Homes
- Private Businesses (Sales and Development)
- Public Health Agencies
Dental Hygiene Careers By The Numbers
expected rate of dental hygienist job growth from 2016 to 2026
New hygienist jobs expected to open in U.S. between 2016 and 2026
Student Financial Services
One of the most important considerations when committing to a college or university is cost. We work with you and your family to help make your education affordable by pricing our tuition competitively and offering financial assistance.
- Gain knowledge, skills, and confidence
- Practice technique in the Dental Simulation Lab
- Serve a diverse population at the on-campus Coleman Clinic
- Provide a wide range of patient services
- Prepare for modern, team-based care in UNE’s Interprofessional Education Collaborative
- Work with students in a wide range of different health professions programs to provide quality, patient-centered care
- Reap the personal and professional benefits of graduating from one of only a handful of private universities with a comprehensive health care mission
See the world
In our Dental Hygiene degree program, you may study abroad for a semester during your sophomore year in Tangier, Morocco, or Seville, Spain. Both programs offer lab science and humanities courses that fulfill your core requirements. Other short term immersion experiences are available during your sophomore, junior, or senior years, including faculty-led trips to Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, and Kenya; medical mission trips organized by the (IMM)UNE Club; and the unique Health Care Immersion Experience in Ghana.
Interested in studying abroad? Make a plan with your advisor.