Approximately 10,000 people per day turn 65 in the United States, and this trend will continue for the next 20 years. It is therefore the goal of the Division of Geriatric Medicine to develop and implement expanded clinical services in geriatrics that reflect our mission and vision. Below are the current programs with new programs on the horizon and soon to be announced.
MatureCare clinicians provide the medical directorship and/or patient care for older adults residing in 18 Maine nursing homes. The educational and franchise opportunities of MatureCare are congruent with the division's mission and vision and sets us apart from other osteopathic training programs;
MatureCare is a geriatric physician and physician-extender practice specializing in the care and services for SNF/NF, assisted living facility patients/residents, and for the age 50+ population residing in their own homes or congregate housing.
- The practice is comprised of nine physicians, nine nurse practitioners, a psychiatrist, a clinical social worker, a nurse, and two office staff members.
- Contracts include 17 LTC facilities and a hospice service located throughout central and southern Maine, for Medical Director/Physician & Physician-Extender Services. Patients/residents are also served by MatureCare staff in facilities other than those with Medical Director/Physician & Physician-Extender Service contracts in place.
- The physicians and/or NP’s are in most facilities one to two partial days each week, depending upon the resident care needs of the facilities (some facilities have MatureCare presence five days each week). Medical Director duties vary according to the unique needs of each facility and are specified in contracts.
- Call-coverage is provided 24/7/365.
- In-service education sessions are part of each Medical Director facility contract, and the number of sessions per year varies according to individual contract terms. These sessions are scheduled with the UNE Division on Aging office by each facility, and are scheduled on a first-requested first-served basis. Additional costs are incurred by the facility only if the number of sessions exceeds those outlined in the contract for services.
- Consulting/quality/audit services are available upon request and will be designed to fit the unique needs of the LTC organization. Other services are available.
- Prices for all services and/or contracts are competitive within the local and national LTC community marketplace and are individualized to fit the specific needs of each facility.