Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education for the first time ranks UNE for Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity
The Office of Research and Scholarship enables and promotes the scholarly activities of the faculty, professional staff, and students across all of UNE’s colleges, programs, and disciplines. These scholarly endeavors create new knowledge, spark creativity and entrepreneurship, and create new approaches to address society’s most vexing challenges. Engaging students in these efforts complements and enriches their education while advancing the education mission of the university.
The Office of Research and Scholarship enables excellence in research and innovation by:
- Providing infrastructure and training for faculty, professional staff, and students that allows them to address important research questions and promotes creativity and entrepreneurship
- Facilitating and enhancing collaborations between UNE researchers, academics, and government and industry partners
- Ensuring policies and programs simultaneously advance a culture of innovation and a culture of ethical compliance
- Fostering an inclusive scholarly environment
The Office of Research and Scholarship provides leadership to the University of New England community in building research and scholarly activities by:
- Providing support for faculty and professional staff to identify and pursue funding opportunities.
- Ensuring that faculty and staff have all the tools necessary to be competitive.
- Cabell’s is a searchable database, analyzing more than 60 indicators, created to keep the scholarly community aware of the growing threats of potentially predatory journals.
- Encouraging student participation in research.
- Ensuring compliance in all research functions.
To foster excellence in all scholarly endeavors through creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
Welcome FROM THE ASSOCIATE PROVOST
On behalf of the Office of Research and Scholarship, welcome!
I was honored to take on the leadership of this office in June of 2018. My primary focus is to support scholarly efforts across the university through strategic planning and investment as well as providing research support services. Our team works to help foster collaborations across the University and with external partners, with the ultimate goal of expanding the scope and impact of our research programs. In addition to leading the research strategy for the University, the Office of Sponsored Programs provides administrative support services to ensure the highest level of ethical standards and regulatory compliance in UNE’s research and scholarship activities.
Faculty-led student research is an important part of the UNE student experience. Our team works closely with faculty and students to support student scholarship and experiential learning. This includes student fellowships, travel awards, and myriad opportunities for students to present and publish their work.
Whether you are a student, faculty, professional staff, administrator, collaborator or future partner, we welcome you to browse our website to learn more about our programs and support services. We have offices located on both the Biddeford and Portland campuses, so please reach out to learn more about our research and scholarship opportunities.
Karen L. Houseknecht, Ph.D.
Professor and Associate Provost for Research and Scholarship