Working to Contribute to Education Costs
Though borrowing to fund your education is a reality for many families, working and contributing financially to your educational investment is a key to successful completion of your degree. Not only do you help offset some of the expenses of your education and reduce your reliance on loans, but you earn vaulable opportunities to add to your resume. National surveys of employers indicate that recent graduates who have worked through college are more attractive to hire.
The Federal Work-Study program is funded by both the Department of Education and UNE, and offers opportunities for on-campus, part-time employment to undergraduate students demonstrating financial need. Funds are annually recalculated and awarded as part of your financial aid package. Your work-study earnings are paid to you directly and are not deducted from your bill. An additional advantage to working on campus is the enrichment of your college and practical work experience. Please obtain an Authorization Form from our office before beginning work.
2022-2023 UNE Federal Work Study Process
To do this:
- Log in to U-Online
- Select Student Financial Services > Award > Award by Aid Year > 2022-2023
- Review Accept Award Offer tab
These forms include:
- Federal W-4 Form
- State of Maine W-4 Form (required regardless of your home state)
- UNE Confidentiality Agreement Form
- Federal I-9 Form which requires in-person review of original forms of ID.
These forms are only required to be completed once. If you have previously done then, please proceed to Step 3.
- This is done entirely online through U-Online
- Delay in enrollment can result in delay in receipt of paychecks
- Once enrolled, you will not need to re-enroll again unless your banking information changes
If you do not have access to Handshake and/or experience technical difficulties logging in, please call Career Services at (207) 602-2096 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The form is available at www.une.edu/studentemployeesafety
- All supervisors and student employees will be required to sign this document
- The process must be completed online at www.une.edu/authorization by the hiring supervisor
- This must be completed for every individual position in which you’re employed
Thank you for your cooperation in carefully following these procedures. For any questions or concerns regarding student employment and the Federal Work-Study program, please contact Student Financial Services at (207) 602-2342 or email@example.com.
- Please see Handshake instructions (PDF)
- Pending postion approval, you are now authorized to move forward with hiring process. We encourage supervisors to become familiar with Handshake as it offers many great features to streamline the entire hiring process. If the position is not approved, you will be notified of any adjustments necessary to move forward with approval or reason for denial.
- The Student Employee Safety and Operational Procedures form is available at www.une.edu/studentemployeesafety
- All supervisors and student employees will be required to sign the document
- This list is to be strictly used to confirm eligibility for hiring purposes only. Students included on it have completed all necessary new hire forms and are authorized to earn FWS funds.
- If you do not have access to this list, please first confirm you have a valid position in Handshake. Access will be provided to this list once position is approved.
- If you have an approved position but still do not have access, please contact the offices of Student Employment/Student Financial Services for assistance.
If you are hiring for an institutional work (IW) program position, confirming FWS eligibility is not required. Please be aware we strongly encourage first utilizing FWS whenever possible. If you still wish to proceed with the position through IW, you must confirm available funds with your department head.
- The process must be completed online at www.une.edu/authorization for all positions, for both FWS and IW programs
- An individual form must be completed for every student in every individual position in which they’re employed
At this point, the student is set to begin working.
- For FWS hours: Timesheets submitted in accordance with the FWS payroll schedule through the WTE process in U-Online
- For IW hours: Paper timesheets submitted to Payroll according to the hourly bi-weekly schedule
FWS and IW are on different schedules. Please be mindful of which schedule you will adhere to and which timesheets you’ll submit for your students.
Email Payroll with any questions about or issues with timesheets
Thank you for your cooperation in carefully following these procedures. For any questions or concerns regarding student employment, please contact Suheir Alaskari at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FWS EMPLOYEE AUTHORIZATION FORM
Before you are authorized to begin working in the work-study program, an authorization must be completed by your hiring supervisor. An authorization is required every academic year for every individual position worked. Any student or supervisor with questions about the authorization process should contact Student Financial Services at email@example.com or (207) 602-2342 for additional guidance.
Non-work-study student employment
If Federal Work Study is not part of your financial aid award, you can still apply for the many job opportunities on or around the UNE campuses. Take advantage of public transportation to get to and from jobs off campus. Please see this list of job opportunities and check with Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 602-2096 about other possibilities.
Summer student employment
FWS funding is not available for students to use during the summer. Departments wishing to employ students can use their departmental funds to pay a student for summer employment. Please contact Career Services or (207) 602-2096 for more information regarding this process.
First-time work-study students
As a first-time Federal Work-Study student, you must complete employment forms before beginning work. These documents can be found via your U-Online account under Student Requirements. Since some documentation requires physical verification, you will need to see a Student Financial Services representative in person to turn in your paperwork.